What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3900x and Ryzen power profiles

clshades

This is so frustrating. I've been at it for a couple hours now and never had this issue with any previous computer. I have updated to the latest bios on my x570 gigabyte pro wifi and basically reset the bios. Only thing I changed was disabling all the possible boot options except the main drive. Change the per ccx option, and enabled XMP to max out the RAM.

I did a powercfg reset on the power profiles to remove the Ryzen power options to test so I'll need to re-install the chipset drivers to see those options again. Anyway,

I set the balanced profile to 5% min cpu up to 100% cpu but here I am in desktop idling and it's bouncing between 3.8-4.4GHZ and 1.3v to 1.4+v

My last intel board would idle at like 1ghz and barely any volts so the temps were stupid low. Why isn't this working on the Ryzen? Waste of power and just makes heat for no reason. On the old intel setup I'd just set high performance for gaming etc when needed and dump it down to balanced when cruizing the interwebs and youtube.

Any knowledge on this from someone here would be great... there's a lot to sift through on the various forum posts searching through google. What am I missing!!

Bond007

Is you cooling system spooling up at all? I have read of people having those exact issues while the monitoring software is running, and that exiting it fixed the issue (ex: on stock cooler you can hear the fan increasing in speed, and then it doesn't happen after exiting).

Edit: and as with what lowfat said, lots of things make more sense/work better with ryzen master than other programs.

clshades

So cpuz isn't showing volts and frequency properly? Hardware monitor is showing 50-60c temps and all cores live. I'll load up master though and check it all again after work.

Very annoying all the same. Short of a manual overclock it should throttle down.

lowfat

Staff member
So cpuz isn't showing volts and frequency properly? Hardware monitor is showing 50-60c temps and all cores live. I'll load up master though and check it all again after work.

Very annoying all the same. Short of a manual overclock it should throttle down.
It does put individual cores to sleep when not in use. But only Ryzen Master correctly displays it.

clshades

It does put individual cores to sleep when not in use. But only Ryzen Master correctly displays it.
Cool thanks for pointing that out. The cores are spinning down to 800-ish with a couple at 1.2+
Cpuz is basically useless then other than getting some info on BIOS etc.

Weirdly the volts actually go lower when running Prime95 and come back up when idle.