What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

It is the machining of the drive gears I'd be weary of.
Just curious, I could save some cash by just buying a cheap BMG for the parts but then also buy the bondtech drive gears separately no? 36$ for a coulple of gears, screws and springs seems steep?

lowfat

Staff member
Just curious, I could save some cash by just buying a cheap BMG for the parts but then also buy the bondtech drive gears separately no? 36$ for a coulple of gears, screws and springs seems steep?
I thought you'd be using the drive gears in that kit as well.

The Bondtech drive gears alone sell for $36 + tax / shipping at 3d printing Canada.

danmitch1

w00t ! Status: Payment being verified The supplier is processing your order

Not too shabby.. 188.28 cdn.. not the hard part... waiting!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Finished my pinball controller project. There's a spot for a joystick, but I'm only going to be using the controller for pinball and it was distracting sticking up in front of the playing field so I removed it and just replaced it with an unconnected switch.

Took 100+ hours of printing @ .2 25% gyroid infill, and it's built like a bloody tank. The case pieces alone were about 2/3 of a full roll so I'm sure there's at least a roll in it if not more.

completed pinball machine.jpg

danmitch1

Finished my pinball controller project. There's a spot for a joystick, but I'm only going to be using the controller for pinball and it was distracting sticking up in front of the playing field so I removed it and just replaced it with an unconnected switch.

Took 100+ hours of printing @ .2 25% gyroid infill, and it's built like a bloody tank. The case pieces alone were about 2/3 of a full roll so I'm sure there's at least a roll in it if not more.

View attachment 29019
Awesome! I love the dual monitors too.

sswilson

Staff member
Next step would be to buy some 3/4" plywood and try to make a cabinet to mount the two monitors into.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Button Body-9732.jpg

I really like the effect I got with the gyroid infill on transparent filament. Gives it a textured look.

full machine-.jpg

edit: Better pic of the full layout now that I've got the monitor spacing tweaked. I ultimately ended up adding the joystick back as I found out it could be used to control movement in the menus. The only button function I'm currently missing on the controller is the esc key which is only needed to exit out of an in progress game. I'll have to check to see if the steam controller settings will allow me to map one of the keys to that and have it active during gameplay.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I've got to be the worst when it comes to guesstimating how beefy I need a part to be.....

I've got a widescreen I want to mount as the backglass on the pinball setup, but the cheeparse wall mount I bought only does 100mm vesa and the monitor is 75mm.

cue this little beasty to allow me to adapt the monitor to the mount....

I want to be able to drill some washer insets into the holes for added strength so I wanted the piece printed solid, but made the mistake of setting my infill to "0" as opposed to "100" so I had to start over... when I started over I decided that I wanted a bit more meat to drill into and bumped the thickness up to 6mm from 4mm..... I suspect it'll survive the second coming once it's printed..... :)