What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
I've got to be the worst when it comes to guesstimating how beefy I need a part to be.....

I've got a widescreen I want to mount as the backglass on the pinball setup, but the cheeparse wall mount I bought only does 100mm vesa and the monitor is 75mm.

cue this little beasty to allow me to adapt the monitor to the mount....

I want to be able to drill some washer insets into the holes for added strength so I wanted the piece printed solid, but made the mistake of setting my infill to "0" as opposed to "100" so I had to start over... when I started over I decided that I wanted a bit more meat to drill into and bumped the thickness up to 6mm from 4mm..... I suspect it'll survive the second coming once it's printed..... :)
I've done something similar. Had to replace a display @ Safeway. But the old displays had non standard mounting holes, so you also need to replace the mount as well. Unfortunately the bolts were stripped and I couldn't remove it. So I quickly designed an adapter plate for it. It has been probably 2-3 years and no one has ever said anything about the blue bracket holding up one of their displays.

sswilson

Staff member
Finished, mounted, installed. That panel's at least a VA so the viewing angles are a lot better than the old HP I had hanging up there before.

I doubt very much I'll ever do much designing on my own but I'm starting to do a little bit of tinkercad adjustments to existing designs to make them closer to what I'm specifically looking for.

One of the biggest benefits I'm seeing of the printer is the ability to print up little things (like the vesa adapter) on a whim without having to go hunting down at the hardware store for something I could jury rig into what I want.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Managed to sell my old CNC router on the weekend, doing some shopping for a beefier spindle for the new one now.

danmitch1

One of the biggest benefits I'm seeing of the printer is the ability to print up little things (like the vesa adapter) on a whim without having to go hunting down at the hardware store for something I could jury rig into what I want.
Me too, I was so close to buying a garden hose repair kit the other day and was like, Wait a sec! i have a 3d printer ffs.. printed them out and saved 25 bucks .. everything works the way I need it.

Been playing around with a roll of marble PLA..

IMG_20200707_060809048.jpgIMG_20200707_060816655.jpgIMG_20200706_151143986.jpgIMG_20200706_151207723.jpgIMG_20200706_151238918.jpgIMG_20200706_151314094_BURST001~2.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
My most useful print was a ziptie screw mount. I've used well over 100 for cable management. But they don't really work for my desk as I need to be able to swap cables easily and they need to mount to glass. So I went w/ this super simple velco mount. The metal ones I was using previously, just don't have the strength on their own.
MVIMG_20200709_104726 (Large).jpg
MVIMG_20200709_104723 (Large).jpg
MVIMG_20200709_105155 (Large).jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Nice, simple but very effective.
Exactly. That's why I need to keep reminding myself that I have the ability to make small items like that.

Currently spitballing a second VESA adapter mount for the monitor that's coming in tomorrow.... can't do much with it until I see exactly what I'm working with though, and I'm going to look a little deeper into how hard it's going to be to line up 4+ measured holes on tinkercad..... I know there's a grid on the work surface, just not completely sure how easy it is to work with.....

danmitch1

Exactly. That's why I need to keep reminding myself that I have the ability to make small items like that.

Currently spitballing a second VESA adapter mount for the monitor that's coming in tomorrow.... can't do much with it until I see exactly what I'm working with though, and I'm going to look a little deeper into how hard it's going to be to line up 4+ measured holes on tinkercad..... I know there's a grid on the work surface, just not completely sure how easy it is to work with.....
Not sure if you can do it on tinkercad, but to know if my holes line up where i need them, ill strip down the part to a simplified mockup of just the hole placement and print that first before printing the whole part. Its easier to visualize...

sketch1594324823196.png

sswilson

Staff member
Speaking of relatively simple prints that save a trip to the hardware store....

Spacer.jpg

How about 4 10mm stand-offs/spacers so I can jury rig an existing monitor stand to work as my angled pinball screen table stand? :)

(Elephant feet and all..... ).

edit: and you can't really make it out in these images, but I've noticed that tinkercad doesn't do true circles. If you look at the circle in an STL that comes out of tinkercad you'll see that it's multiple flat surfaces as opposed to a full arc (like an octagon only a lot more flat surfaces).

The hole I made in tinkercad is the one closest to the edge and if you scroll in you can clearly see that it's not a true circle. (rough count looks like it's 20 "flats").

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member

I guess this is stable enough to use now. I remember it was just one guy porting the firmware over for the MKS SBase 1.3. Worked on it for a couple years but last I checked development had mostly died. But it was forked and since the Sbase uses the same controller as the SKR 1.3 / 1.4, a lot of the work was done.

EDIT: Damn, you can even run the PanelDue firmware on touchscreens. Including the POS MKS TFT I have but quit using after 3 minutes.

Last edited: