What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Grrr......

I made the mistake of plugging my old-ass floor fan into the same old-ass "powerbar" (it's a monitor stand so that should give you an idea as to how old it is.... :) ) as my printer is connected to..... when I turned the fan on there was a power bump that restarted my printer an hour into a print..... :(

sswilson

Staff member

When this is working in customizer it's amazing!

Unfortunately I guess I got lucky last night when I customized a 50deg bracket as it only took a couple of minutes to complete.... this morning, I'm trying to do a specific width 90deg bracket and it's @ 45 minutes with no result yet.... :(

That said.... the 50deg is the one I wouldn't have been able to source elsewhere so it's fortunate I got it done when I did.

KaptCrunch

Grrr......

I made the mistake of plugging my old-ass floor fan into the same old-ass "powerbar" (it's a monitor stand so that should give you an idea as to how old it is.... :) ) as my printer is connected to..... when I turned the fan on there was a power bump that restarted my printer an hour into a print..... :(
worth having just a UPS on the printer ;)

danmitch1

Designed this and printed it out last night.. turned out great but I need to tweak my slicer a bit more for PETG.. noticing alot of zits at one point. I read it might be the retraction prime or coasting.. not sure... anyone have experience with that?
I also made some grammar mistakes in the text ;P
IMG_20200711_151052_01 (1).jpgIMG_20200711_151053_01 (1).jpgIMG_20200711_151053_02 (1).jpgIMG_20200711_151053_03 (1).jpgIMG_20200711_152647555.jpgIMG_20200711_152725584.jpg

And here is this area with major zits

IMG_20200711_161904467.jpg

danmitch1

No one noticed the dumb joke on my hoes holder? Look closer lol...

Here a simple design I did yesterday.
IMG_20200712_100420587.jpgIMG_20200712_100627455.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
I saw it.... ;)

Currently on my fourth print of a relatively simple tinkercad "remix".... the first one was an initial design that pointed to a required height adjustment on one section of the print, the second one was a reaction to that requirement but was created in the wee hours of the morning (middle of the night after I checked the fit of my first failed design) and came out with measurements that looked like they were just pulled out of thin air (and of course had no resemblance to what I needed), the third was drawn up early this afternoon but didn't fit right when I checked it which is when I realised that I'd used the height measurement from a different part that was within the ball park but not close enough :( . Here's hoping bad luck comes in threes and that the 4'th print turns out right.....

If this one doesn't turn out... time to take a day off and look at it again on Friday. :)

edit... if I were smart I'd cut out a 1" piece and print that up to check fitment.

Last edited:

danmitch1

edit... if I were smart I'd cut out a 1" piece and print that up to check fitment.
I think that is the best way.. its been working out for me so far.. obviously saves lots of time, filament and patients... (y)

sswilson

Staff member
Did we ultimately decide that the bed on the ender series can't be PID tuned? I managed to tune my hotend, but the bed autotune command returns a "PID Autotune failed! Bad extruder number" error.

I've seen some suggestions that it might have to be turned on when compiling merlin.....