What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Cptn Vortex

I myself have always been intrigued with 3D printing etc but still not yet at the stage to get a printer. As a side note though, I'm doing a site assessment for a possible client next week here: https://forgelabs.ca/. Now that's some cool printing tech!

lowfat

Staff member
As for ABS, if worried about the nasty fumes i think ASA is supposed to be similar to ABS but a bit better on the fumes side of things. Though unless you really need ABS PET-G is likely fine.
ASA is still a styrene plastic. I don't really think it will be much better.

danmitch1

Kinda odd how these materials are aloud tbh. Obviously most will vent the fumes but what about the people outside lol...

sswilson

Staff member
Kinda odd how these materials are aloud tbh. Obviously most will vent the fumes but what about the people outside lol...
Some of us worked with toxic chemicals / fumes for pretty much all of our careers... most of them are relatively harmless in low concentrations with enough ventilation. OTOH.... if you're in the parking lot of a weapons storage facility and you're watching folks in full scba gear (without the underwater part) moving drums in and out of a storage location, maybe you might not want to poke your head into the building.... :)

danmitch1

Yeah for sure, but for residential use.. you would think there would be more restrictions. Especially nowadays.. lawsuits..

lcdguy

Folding Team
could be that the effects of the fumes hasn't been well documented and widely distributed and that something like that is going to happen eventually. I believe there are already some companies making filtering systems for 3d printers though they are a bit pricey.

sswilson

Staff member
I have my doubts that they're any worse than other toxic household products (like spray paint, or solvents). The acetone in nail polish remover is nasty stuff, but you don't see lawsuits over the normal use of that.

Latest posts

Twitter