What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
So.... are you going to install that stuff the right way and only do one upgrade at a time so you can easily diagnose any issues you run into, or are you going to go nuts and install it all at once and keep your fingers crossed??? ;)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So.... are you going to install that stuff the right way and only do one upgrade at a time so you can easily diagnose any issues you run into, or are you going to go nuts and install it all at once and keep your fingers crossed??? ;)

well, like good techno-geeks, we all know the answer to that...don't we?

danmitch1

It is a very nice hotend, thanks for suggesting it! Its got a nice solid heavy-ish feel to it too.
So should i center the heater cartridge to the heat block, or push it all the wall through? Does it matter?

Im going to design the mounting system for everything all at once but most likely test one part at a time. Its really tempting to go for the gusto though lol.

danmitch1

What do you guys think of my square groove mount?
square groove mount.png

I just need to modify the bmg to match and off we go..

Last edited:

danmitch1

Actually, that is set at the same height as the stock hotend. I think I need to raise it more to fit the stepper motor though, which will increase Z volume. The green part is the stock hot end
3123.png
From what I can tell, if I create some sort of L bracket and use the stock hotend mount points I would loose even more z volume.

edit: see here
41235.png

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
What do you guys think of my square groove mount?
View attachment 29332

I just need to modify the bmg to match and off we go..

I don't know enough about the process to comment on the effectiveness of the part, but I'm extremely jealous of the skill that went into it... :)

I'm assuming this is all going to be done in PETG due to the proximity to the hot end?

edit: On the home front... nothing like a 7 hour edge to edge overnight print to keep a person awake at night.... :)

danmitch1

I don't know enough about the process to comment on the effectiveness of the part, but I'm extremely jealous of the skill that went into it... :)

I'm assuming this is all going to be done in PETG due to the proximity to the hot end?

edit: On the home front... nothing like a 7 hour edge to edge overnight print to keep a person awake at night.... :)
Thanks! but the humble me would say its not that difficult once you get the hang of things. If you built stuff with Lego when you were a kid, you can definitely 3d model :).

Yup, im doing it in PETG. However, the design of this hotend is not supposed to transfer much heat upward and apparently doesnt really need much cooling either. Better safe than sorry though eh?

Lol, not keeping you up noise wise anymore I bet !

So with a fresh mind I think I have a better solution, I was completely mis-thinking my design yesterday. For some reason I was brain farting on the L bracket idea, I didnt think that I could screw the bracket to the x carriage first, then screw on the hot end. I kept thinking that the hot end was going to block the screw access...

Ill post back my improved design shortly.

danmitch1

Alright, now I remember why I was having trouble with the L bracket design. In order to get screw clearance to the X carriage, I need to have the hotend mounted in a way that brings down the carriage plate 3mm to the bed. Is there any reason why this would not be desirable ?
I cant really think of any reason why its not a good idea... am I missing something? If its too close I could shim the top of the hot end to bring it down, but then I would need to buy longer screws...

I remember now.png

Latest posts

Twitter