What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Was running my roll of black PLA down below what one of these leg braces is going to take so I switched over to my latest cheap roll.... fortunately my test print (2mm slice of the 2X3 opening) came out within specs so I'm not concerned about the model being slightly off from a new filament, but I switched from my original Overture PLA to this cheap stuff and I can really see (and feel) the difference between the two.

Currently printing off a test "hole" to check for carriage bolt fitting.

edit: Test worked as expected... now to add that last little bit to my brace model....

Last edited:

danmitch1

Nice one, im guessing since its 2x3 its for your pinball cabinet?

Gotta get into recycling your waste, im keeping all my waste in the boxes in which they came so as to not mix up types together. When I get some spare cash, im building a filament extruder (I linked it before somewhere but Ill link it again Go here ) Not only can you recycle your filament, you can extrude virgin pellets for a fraction on the price of Pre-extruded filament.

sswilson

Staff member
PLA is listed as recyclable, but then the question is whether or not the sorters recognize it as such since it doesn't come with a recycling label.

leg brace mid print.jpg

Getting there.... 17 hours into what looks like it's going to be a 20 hour print, and 87mm out of 120. I really hope this works out as planned... this is a significant piece of plastic hardware. :)

edit:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the inset holes for the carriage bolt heads are off on at least one of the holes... :( That's the problem with eyeballing this stuff in tinkercad as opposed to using a proper grid to measure and center things on other design elements. I'm learning to manipulate the whole design to make things easier to line up while I'm designing (things like dropping the design below the work plane so that the current modeling focus is flush), but I really should take the time to run though the instruction videos on fusion so that I've got access to proper tools.

It might be close enough that I can get it to fit, but, if not, it's at least a relatively easy process to slightly widen the void cylinder to widen it. It just means an extra $5 worth of plastic.....

Last edited:

danmitch1

PLA is listed as recyclable, but then the question is whether or not the sorters recognize it as such since it doesn't come with a recycling label.

View attachment 29374

Getting there.... 17 hours into what looks like it's going to be a 20 hour print, and 87mm out of 120. I really hope this works out as planned... this is a significant piece of plastic hardware. :)
No no, not for the municipal pickup. DIY recycling ;)

Nice clean print there! no support either (just a slight warp on the edge :p )

sswilson

Staff member
No no, not for the municipal pickup. DIY recycling ;)

Nice clean print there! no support either (just a slight warp on the edge :p)
Yeah, for the next one I may try dropping the fan speed down to 25% vice the current 50. Because the fan needs something like 20% for initial rotation, that means it won't run at all until it gets a run max voltage at the higher layers.

edit: The other option would be to print it laying flat with supports on the internal surface. It's a large block, but it's square so it wouldn't be hard to remove, and the surface is against the wood so it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.

danmitch1

Yep, we are seeing 40+ c with humidex here in mtl.. no ac in my office either :mad:

I was thinking more along the line of raising the temp of the bed, I use 50c for pla and never see warping.

sswilson

Staff member
Yep, we are seeing 40+ c with humidex here in mtl.. no ac in my office either :mad:

I was thinking more along the line of raising the temp of the bed, I use 50c for pla and never see warping.
Yeah but then you deal with elephant feet...... :) I'd turn off the fan all together, but there's a fair bit of upright circle bridging going on.....

We'll see what it looks like when it's done printing. I have to print off a second one even if I can make this one work so I'll have a chance to play with the settings a bit on the next one.

danmitch1

Nope, cant say ive had an elephants foot issue either at 50c.. maybe you need a bed PID, might be over shooting too much?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter