What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Oh, I thought you had to add a G29 before your print to activate it.. I popped that into the cura/printer settings. Never tried it without the G29 code.

Lol.. 99cents for the converter, 400$ for the printer to make the case.

I'll have to double check, it's possible that was part of the initial BLTouch installation and I've just forgotten about it.

edit: Nope, you were right... the last step in the setup was to change cura's setting from just "G28" to "G28 G29" so instead of just auto home, it also does an auto leveling.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Im guessing that its needed each time then since they ask for it before each print. It would make sense though to just probe the area that will be used for each particular print.

I was thinking it would be cool to try and get both hotends I have working to print water soluble supports.. then I saw the price of PVA ! kinda left that Idea with my tail between my legs lol...

Just stumbled accross this https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

Gonna go through them later, seems pretty damn handy!

lowfat

Staff member
What do you think @lowfat ?
Code:
// Most probes should stay away from the edges of the bed, but
// with NOZZLE_AS_PROBE this can be negative for a wider probing area.
//#define MIN_PROBE_EDGE 5

// X and Y axis travel speed (mm/m) between probes
#define XY_PROBE_SPEED 25000

// Feedrate (mm/m) for the first approach when double-probing (MULTIPLE_PROBING == 2)
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST (HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z / 3)

// Feedrate (mm/m) for the "accurate" probe of each point
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_SLOW (Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST / 4)

/**
 * Multiple Probing
 * You may get improved results by probing 2 or more times.
 * With EXTRA_PROBING the more atypical reading(s) will be disregarded.
 * A total of 2 does fast/slow probes with a weighted average.
 * A total of 3 or more adds more slow probes, taking the average.
 */
#define MULTIPLE_PROBING 3
//#define EXTRA_PROBING    1

But I have way less moving mass than you, so don't except to use the same speeds as me.

And like I said earlier. Mapping the bed before a print takes 1-2 minutes at most. Compared to the hours it takes to do a print, don't really matter much.

danmitch1

So my 25 points takes 2:30 , I guess thats not the end of the world eh, but wait, you have way less mass? I thought you had a direct drive too no?

danmitch1

My mount design is flawed.. I believe im experiencing heat creep! I thought the dragon was supposed to eliminate that issue so im leaning towards my mount not allowing enough air flow. Here is the challenge, redesigning no, printing the redesigned part with heat creep YES... I really dont want to re assemble my old hotend... Ive gotta figure out a temporary cooling solution.. Im gonna attempt to cut away some plastic and get a push pull going with 2 40x10 fans I have sitting around... maybe even jury rig a 90mm case fan at 100% rpm to the hotend... woe is me !

sswilson

Staff member
Heat creep as in excess heat isn't being wicked away thus it's slowly (but constantly) going up?

If that's the case... can you direct an extra fan towards it in order to wick away the heat while you print up the replacement? (Maybe this is why LF has soo many printers.... :) ).

edit: Hrmmmm reading comprehension isn't apparently my thing.... but I'm thinking more along the lines of a table fan as opposed to a smaller PC fan.

danmitch1

Well, I was finishing up tuning my printer and it was printing really nicely. Up until then, I had only printed small test cubes and one pretty crappy benchy. All of the sudden it prints fine up until a certain point and then stops extruding. The nozzle isnt clogged and there isnt any grinded up filament on the drive gears. After it cools and I heat it up again, I can manually extrude without any issue. While it was printing I stuck my finger in to feel the heat break and it was very hot.
This is leading me to believe its heat creep,

I was using the same fan I had on the stock hot end, a noctua 40x40x20. I swapped it out for a loud shitty 40x40x10 and was able to complete my next cube, then without really waiting for things to cool down I launched a benchy, and it failed half way through.

danmitch1

Alrighty then... Dont laugh... ok laugh...
IMG_20200910_185012095.jpg
IMG_20200910_185005021.jpg
Had some good and bad luck yesterday, the bad luck.. I pulled off a benchy that I had left on the build plate and ripped a hole in the magnetic build plate! Lucky I had some of those sticker build plates that come with overture filament... had to adjust my z offset
Had to cut off the old fan shroud with my rotary tool.... what a mess...

I fastened a coolermaster 90mm cpu fan to it and made a shroud out of cardstock ,hotglue and some duct tape..

The good news...
Printed the same gcode as I did with the heat creep no problem.. So at least now I can redesign my mount and print it without having to reinstall the old hotend.

sswilson

Staff member
Well... at least you had white zap straps to match your printed parts.... :)

Good to hear it seems to be working well enough for you to get new parts printed off. :)

Latest posts

Twitter