What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Still early on playing with calibrating flow rate, but so far (going off the calibration on TT) I'm down to 67% flow rate to get a .4 wall. :eek:

That's using the spiral function so I'm going to try it as a normal print, as well as seeing what expanding to 2 line width shows me.
I had to lower mine to 85 to get that .4mm . I cut the cube in half and measured from the center as i found the top and bottom where not as flat.

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmmmm.......

So, using my adjusted/"calibrated xyz e-steps I've come up with a flow rate of 73.46 to give me a 2 wall thickness of .8 and decided to reset all of my e-steps (except the extruder) to defaults (80, 80, 400) and then try a XYZ cube which came out damn near perfect.

Currently heating up the bed to try another wall test at the default settings expecting that there might be a minor (very minor) adjustment required based on the changes to my e-steps (they started out as 79.5 / 79.5 / 398.something so they weren't all that far out.

If it turns out that flow rate adjustments based on a two wall calibration is all I need to dial this thing in, and extruder calibrations aren't required after each filament change, would a two wall calibration for flow be something to do after each filament change?

lowfat

Staff member
That seems like way too much. I'm going to bet you are going to be way under extruding. IMO just adjust if you notice under/over extruding on a print. Mine never really moves more than 1%.

sswilson

Staff member
That seems like way too much. I'm going to bet you are going to be way under extruding. IMO just adjust if you notice under/over extruding on a print. Mine never really moves more than 1%.

I thought it seemed awfully low but it's putting out a great cube and I'm not seeing any obvious signs of under-extrusion. Once I've got this current wall print worked out I'll do a benchy and one of those 3d tester prints to see where I'm at.

I'm short on projects for the moment so I'm going to spend some time trying to dial the printer in better (not that I've been unhappy with the output I've been getting) and look into some advanced settings (like retractions) rather than depending on the pre-mixed profiles I've been using.

Once I've spent some time on that, next step is to try to tackle compiling a merlin build of my own. :)

edit: calculation is asking for 78.31 now that I've set my e-steps to default. We'll try another wall run with that setting.

edit2: Why do I get this wild feeling that if I dropped my extruder e-stepper setting down to the default of 100 from the current 102.4 that I'd be a lot closer to 100% flow???

Last edited:

danmitch1

sswilson

Staff member
It almost seems redundant eh, if you push more filament via e-steps it will increase "flow".. increasing flow does what , speeds up those steps?

Just received these mothers https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N15C6YU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They pretty much have double the cfm as the noctua NF-A4x20 FLX. thing is I thought it was 20mm deep but its actually 28mm, gonna have to redesign my new mount!

Holy crap!!!!

Have you spun one up? I'm betting they're loud as hell.

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure if there's any interest, or even if the program is worth $40 or not, but CorelCad is available in a sub-$40 Humble Bundle....

I haven't checked, but there is apparently a trial version (retail is $699).

I'm considering it, but already have all of the other listed corel products from a previous humble bundle.

edit: The HB will be active for another 20 days so there's a while to decide yea or nay. What few reviews there are out there suggest that it's a hell of a lot easier to learn than autocad.

Last edited: