What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
I'm going to try the demo first.

edit:

That makes it look so easy!!!! :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

Do we think the concepts (and function naming) would port over reasonably well between blender and other Cad programs? I'm looking for a good tutorial to get me started and that particular course came up. I've never used Udemy before, but I know their courses routinely go on sale which would explain how this particular "$200" course can be had (so long as I book within 5 hours) for less than $20.

I subbed to a similar course when I first got my DSLR and got a pretty good introduction to Photography concepts and DSLR feature sets so I don't mind putting out some cash (in this case, very little) if it's going to get me a grounding in concepts and terminology I now know nothing about.

TLDR: Would a basics course in Blender transfer over to a different Cad program?

edit: NVM.... I bought the course. :) (It was only $18 so what the hay... :) ).

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@sswilson
I would be very interested to know as well. Can you let me know how it goes? A training course would be perfect, but I don't want one that isn't going to be directly useful for my soon-to-be 3D printer.

sswilson

Staff member
@sswilson
I would be very interested to know as well. Can you let me know how it goes? A training course would be perfect, but I don't want one that isn't going to be directly useful for my soon-to-be 3D printer.

Sure will, but keep in mind there's over 65 hrs worth of video in the course so it's not going to be anytime soon. :)

I'm hoping that once I get to the creating a basic model portion that I'll be able to try transferring that over to the CorelCad to see what I think (Hopefully before the 20 day Humble Bundle is up). It's a pity Corel hasn't put as much work into the tutorials for CorelCad as they have for other products, the resources available from them for PSP and Painter are quite extensive, not so much for the CorelCad.

It's also possible that I'd pick up enough on the Blender front that I might be just as well off to stick with that (it's opensource) but my understanding is that Blender is overly complex for most users.

danmitch1

IMO, Once you know the basic concept of 3d modeling that in its self is transferable to all cad SW... however you will just need to do translations of the different terminology used per SW.

Also, I found the best way to learn is to start with a project in mind. This way it will stick better.. As you hit obstacles, just look up tips online and work your way through it.

Just get your selves a student license of 3ds Max, Ill be glad to teach what I know to you.

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks for the offer. I've got fairly high hopes that the Udemy Blender course is going to give me a decent start, and if it does look like it'd transfer over to CorelCad I'll probably grab that for $40 so that I've got a paid program that's not subject to the whims of licensing agreement changes.

I just need to figure out how I'm going to view the videos while doing the actions in blender without having a usable multi-monitor setup (I've got the pinball monitors but they're fixed to the stand.... :) ). I've got a tablet I might use to view the videos while running the program on my main PC monitor, or I may end up using my laptop for the videos.

lcdguy

Folding Team
so this weekend i finally got around to swapping out my control board and lcd on my ender 5 plus with the BTT skr-mini-e3 v2.0 with the BTT TFT35 Ver 3.0. So worth it, the printer is so quite now (except for the psu fan) but movements are near silent. Even quiter than my prusa.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, it's a huge difference then. :)

I had thought that putting the printed noise isolating feet on was amazing, but the "silent" stepper controllers are absolutely amazing!

Latest posts

Twitter