What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

If its glass, it won't. Even on a normal sized bed when using glass, the edges will be 5-10s cooler than the center.
This just made me think, the setting for borosilicate bed in marlin does what exactly? I guess it compensates for the extra time needed to reach your temp.

sswilson

Staff member
@danmitch1

While I'm thinking about it, how is the 3D Touch unit you bought working out? Was it a direct drop-in replacement for a BLTouch or was the coding in Marlin different? Looks like it's significantly less expensive than a BLTouch so if it is a drop-in replacement might be a good option for anybody looking for ABL.

lowfat

Staff member
This just made me think, the setting for borosilicate bed in marlin does what exactly? I guess it compensates for the extra time needed to reach your temp.
Honestly not sure. I'm not a real big fan of glass beds and don't use them any more. Even w/ aluminum / steel I have my starting gcode wait for 60s after reaching temp so the bed more evenly heats up before doing the mesh leveling.

sswilson

Staff member
Honestly not sure. I'm not a real big fan of glass beds and don't use them any more. Even w/ aluminum / steel I have my starting gcode wait for 60s after reaching temp so the bed more evenly heats up before doing the mesh leveling.

I'm sure it's overkill, but I wait a minimum of 5 minutes after selecting "pre-heat" before I select "print" to get the bltouch started.

lowfat

Staff member
Decided I wanted to try a 0.4mm nozzle in my Prusa yesterday. So since I was going to have to take the hotend apart, I decided to finally try the 'titanium' heatbreak I bought over a year ago from Triangle Labs. Also install the OMC 0.9 degree stepper I bought around the same time.

Just over a year ago I reprinted all the extruder body out of PC-ABS. Holding up surprisingly well considering how much ABS I've printed. Only just a small melt on my probe mount. No sagging.

Also the Nylon PA16 fan shroud I printed about a month ago is holding up awesome. Even after a couple of KGs of ABS printed. Zero sagging.

Finished the mods yesterday, finally updated firmware, and totally forgot what settings I needed to change on the Prusa firmware to get it to work. Finally just now getting some clean printers.

danmitch1

@sswilson the 3d touch is working well. I dont have anything to compare it to but the web says its a tad less accurate that the original. Its an exact clone, i actually had to enable bltouch in marlin so its exactly the same.

@lowfat what build surface do you now prefer? Also, a couple of kg of ABS in a month!? Holy crap you print alot..
How do you like that style of probe?
What are the advantages of a titanium throat?
Lol, i see you have been in touch with the teaching tech guy.

lowfat

Staff member
@sswilson the 3d touch is working well. I dont have anything to compare it to but the web says its a tad less accurate that the original. Its an exact clone, i actually had to enable bltouch in marlin so its exactly the same.

@lowfat what build surface do you now prefer? Also, a couple of kg of ABS in a month!? Holy crap you print alot..
How do you like that style of probe?
It was a couple of KGs in like 3 days. :p

I use PEI on all my machines. Although I still like using a bit of glue stick on it as it really does make things much easier.

Inductive sensors are awesome, if you have a metal bed. And you have to use very thin print surfaces. Mine are like 0.2mm thick otherwise the sensors won't work.

The screenshot @ 12:37 was just a post on reprap forums from 3 years ago. Just kinda cool just randomly seeing my name when watching a vid. :)

danmitch1

Holy sh*t , 3 days! Im guessing on multiple machines right?
And that titanium throat, what are the advantages?

lcdguy

Folding Team
i'm guessing the titanium allows thinner walls to be used reducing heat creep from the heater block into the heatsink.

also finally got my MMU2S working with the prusa :)

Latest posts

Twitter