What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Damm nice stuff.
Really wish I had help getting all my shit together so I can get working on these too, although I think I'll change the design a bit (after asking lots and lots of input on the changes of course).

Actually... When in Rome:
My idea was to take that X52 base plate and make a version that pivots out horizontally. Make the desk attachment with a vertical shaft with a keyed lugs at the top. In my head, it would sit a couple of inches lower when not in use and rotated away from center. Then to "deploy" the Hotas, you lift the stick/throttle and baseplate upward along the shaft, then rotate it and lower it onto a the lugs, locking it at that height and preventing it from rotating anymore unless again lifted higher than the lugs.

... Would something like that be feasible?

sswilson

Staff member
Damm nice stuff.
Really wish I had help getting all my shit together so I can get working on these too, although I think I'll change the design a bit (after asking lots and lots of input on the changes of course).

Actually... When in Rome:
My idea was to take that X52 base plate and make a version that pivots out horizontally. Make the desk attachment with a vertical shaft with a keyed lugs at the top. In my head, it would sit a couple of inches lower when not in use and rotated away from center. Then to "deploy" the Hotas, you lift the stick/throttle and baseplate upward along the shaft, then rotate it and lower it onto a the lugs, locking it at that height and preventing it from rotating anymore unless again lifted higher than the lugs.

... Would something like that be feasible?

Most things are "feasible" depending on designing skillsets, but I think you might be overthinking the design requirements.

If you look at the base of this light stand, they have a rotating mount but not the kind of locking gear teeth you're considering.

edit: The main concern I'd have would be ensuring you have a large enough surface area so that the weight of the controller isn't focused on a single pivot point.

If you look at this shelf design the weight of the controllers is being held up by the 5 relatively beefy "arms" and then that weight is transferred through to the desk via the 2 screws in the front and the 4 screws into a relatively large surface on the bottom of the desk mount.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

Haven't tried it yet, but I checked and it is available as a plugin in octoprint so I installed the plugin.

edit:

ecv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin 2.0.5.3 (GitHub) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Ender-3 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Recv: Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Recv: Cap:EEPRO:1
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Recv: Cap:pROMPT_SUPPORT:0
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Recv: Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Recv: Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0
Recv: ok

Boo.... hiss.....!!!!!

That's the results of a M115 terminal command. I'm assuming that since I don't see arc support in there that it's not enabled in the firmware version I've got installed.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Haven't tried it yet, but I checked and it is available as a plugin in octoprint so I installed the plugin.

edit:

Boo.... hiss.....!!!!!

That's the results of a M115 terminal command. I'm assuming that since I don't see arc support in there that it's not enabled in the firmware version I've got installed.
Time to break out VS code 😉

danmitch1

Just finished re doing all my wiring on my printer, everything is nice and clean but I cant figure out why all of the sudden my part pan is stuck at 100%, showing 0% on screen.. I swapped the header on the board, still at 100%, then I thought maybe the wires got crossed, so I attempted to reverse them and it didnt spin at all.. cant seem to figure it out.. Any clues?

lcdguy

Folding Team
perhaps something wonky has gone on in the marlin settings, you could try reflashing the firmware, and you double checked that the fan leads are plugged into the correct headers right ? (ie: you didn't flip the Normal Cooling fan and Part Cooling Fan's).

sswilson

Staff member
Just finished re doing all my wiring on my printer, everything is nice and clean but I cant figure out why all of the sudden my part pan is stuck at 100%, showing 0% on screen.. I swapped the header on the board, still at 100%, then I thought maybe the wires got crossed, so I attempted to reverse them and it didnt spin at all.. cant seem to figure it out.. Any clues?

What fan PN? What kind of header is on the MB? I'm reaching here, but you're not trying to run a PWM fan off of a 3 pin header are you? (That will run @ 100% regardless of fan profile).

danmitch1

Im baffled, Its a 2 pin fan, I checked it by its self and it spins fine. If you cross the wires on a 2 pin fan it shouldnt spin right?
I reflashed the firmware still no go.
I have it in the same header as I did before pin 0 . wtf happend you dumb printer you!

danmitch1

I just sent bigtreetech support an email... Wish me luck as I hear its a nightmare to deal with them.....