What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
I'm wondering if for some reason the metal outline of your sensor is being incorporated into the mesh and it's the mesh "diagram" itself that's producing this effect.
With Klipper you don't need to run the mesh before every print. I created a very thorough mesh. Then it gets loaded before every print. But the embossed logo still happened at two different points. One on the first layer. And once on the top layer, which was 7mm hight, which is well beyond the sensor being able to detect the bed.

I suppose I could have installed a mechanical switch for a Z_MAX limit switch. Then just removed the probe since I only really only needed it to create a mesh. But its too late. I've already installed my new carriage and the SKR E3 Mini. Just need to wait the 6 or so weeks for the optical sensor to show up from Aliexpress.

I never actually witnessed it.

lowfat

Staff member
OK rant time.

Been working on the printer pretty much all free time in the last week. Model and print new carriage and electronics enclosure. Replace old POS MKS Sbase w/ the SKR E3 Mini 1.2. Install new carriage. Wire everything up. Notice that the SKR E3 Mini doesn't have a proper 2nd fan mosfet. It is just on. So I look at the datasheet and find a pin that can work. Decide the ARGB data pin.

But I'll need a mosfet for it to work. I didn't want to have to print another 150g electronics enclosure since this is already my 2nd since i broke the first. I have 2 step down converters to run 12v fans. One of them has 2 fans. I'll just remove the one with 2 fans and install a mosfet on a simple printed adapter. Then I'll just wire the 2 fans in series. Now I KNEW this wouldn't work in the back of my mind as they aren't the same fan, but it didn't click. Finished wiring everything today. Go to test... The hotend fan sounds like a damn jet engine. Probably running @ twice the speed. Meanwhile the 120mm Yate Loon it is running in series with is barely moving. Now I'll need to waste more time trying to figure out how to fit both the mosfet and step down converter. And have to fix all the wiring.

And that is just part 1...

Spend pretty much the entire day troubleshooting X/Y motion and then sensorless homing. Took me nearly 3 hours to get my damn X and Y axis to move the correct directions. And then another 3 hours to get the damn printer to home successfully repeatedly. Now I know why no one besides Prusa uses it

And it seems like I'll have to rewire my steppers. I had installed 8 diodes per stepper in the wiring as it really was a requirement for the DRV8825s I was using before. But these TMC drivers are way loud. So I think it may be causing an issue.

EDIT: Got the mosfet / step down issue resolved. Tried pretty hard to keep this clean. But I got so much going on in a small area, it is getting pretty hard.

20210415_203154 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

danmitch1

Sounds fun! Is everything working now? Is that system underneath the printer?

lowfat

Staff member
Sounds fun! Is everything working now? Is that system underneath the printer?
Hell no. Can't even get the damn thing to home consistently. Thought I had it working last night. But now its garbage. Sometimes it will home. Sometimes it will find home exactly where the carriage is. Sometimes it will just slam in to the frame repeatedly. Pretty sure I'm going to have to redesign the carriage again to once again add an endstop. Sensorless homing..never again.

I removed the diodes from the X and Y stepper wiring. It did nothing. They are still really loud. Guess its just the steppers.

So far this 'upgrade' I did was a complete waste of a week. I guess we'll see when it actually gets working and I can run a resonance test to see if the TMC drivers had any affect at all.

danmitch1

My part fan duct finally started to sag enough to catch on printed parts. It was already less than a few mm from the build plate and now, I can barely fit an x-acto blade between a print and the duct .. Soo.. I designed my own compact duct and I think (only one print in) I solved many print quality issues including z banding by doing so.
IMG_20210426_193316593.jpgIMG_20210426_193334685.jpgIMG_20210426_193844247.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
What did you print it out of?

You could try something like the old Prusa MK3 shroud. I can't find the original as its been revised a few times since. But here is one I've modified for a 20mm wide fan. Shouldn't be too hard to make it fit a 10mm fan.

Rename .txt to .step.

Attachments

• Part Cooling Nozzle (1).txt
    834.3 KB · Views: 2

danmitch1

Thanks for that but its basically the same as the one I replaced.
Untitled.png
I find it has to be installed too close to the bed and creates a blind spot.

Thats what I had in mind when I designed the new one, I want to keep the nozzle area more open so I can see whats going on.
I printed the new one out of PETG.. I bought a roll of ABS, my first roll lol.. I havent touched it yet cause I want to make some sort of enclosure before attempting to print it.

lowfat

Staff member
Had an artifact problem w/ this corexy since I built it. I thought it was caused by the crappy DRV8825 drivers. But it still happened after installing the new board. Measured the pitch and it was exactly the same as my belts. After a bunch of googling, it sounded like it was caused by my belt teeth running against smooth idlers. Easiest 'solution' was to have the belts flip upside down after the stepper. The other was to use teethed idlers. The teethed idlers I have are straight garbage so I didn't want to use them. So tried flipping belts first. X was much better but Y was still very bad. So I lubed up my shitty teethed idlers as best as possible and installed them. Absolute massive improvement. Not perfect but usable. Guess I'm going to shell out for brand name Gates idlers for the 2 printers I'm going to be building. Only place I found that sells them in Canada is Spool3d and they are $10.50 each. And I need 8 for each printer. :(

Bottom is the smooth idlers, middle is flipped belts, top is the shitty teethed idlers.
X axis
rOel8gj.jpg

y axis
1oeSO5A.jpg

danmitch1

That is a massive improvement! Why not just continue using the shit idlers? I think im also experiencing this same thing, im going to try changing my smooth idlers too.. Thanks for sharing that!

lowfat

Staff member
That is a massive improvement! Why not just continue using the shit idlers? I think im also experiencing this same thing, im going to try changing my smooth idlers too.. Thanks for sharing that!
It still isn't perfect and I know they'll fail. I quit using them years ago because they kept seizing.

Twitter