What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
Should have done this when I bought it, but I'm throwing the damn printer in the garbage. It has never been anything but junk even w/ a ton of money in to it. Pulling off the electronics and terfing it.

Thats some incredible heat, awesome! This reminds me, since I built my hobo tent arount my printer I measured the ambiant temp at 45c max near the top of the printer but suddenly the printer started to squeal ! I had to lube up all the bearings and the sound went away.. I guess you need to lube it up more often when using an enclosure?
I almost never lube my Prusa in the enclosure. The enclosure keeps it so much cleaner.

EDIT: The most fun I've ever had with this printer was ripping it apart tonight.
uSOqHNC.jpg

Last edited:

danmitch1

Should have done this when I bought it, but I'm throwing the damn printer in the garbage. It has never been anything but junk even w/ a ton of money in to it. Pulling off the electronics and terfing it.

I almost never lube my Prusa in the enclosure. The enclosure keeps it so much cleaner.

EDIT: The most fun I've ever had with this printer was ripping it apart tonight.
uSOqHNC.jpg
I cant help but feel bad for the thing :(

Yeah, Im pretty sure my ender bearings are significantly lower quality than those of your Prusa.. or at least the lube used on them.

lowfat

Staff member
I'm guessing you saved the aluminum extrusions along with the electronics?
It doesn't have any extrusions. But I kept the electronics and some of the motion parts. Although I'll never use the crappy 6mm linear rods for a printer. I'm already working on designing a 'mini' CoreXY with some of the parts. I really liked my carriage design so I'm carrying that over, just converted for an MGN9 linear rail. And I'll use the rest of the electronics I was using on the MP Mini. Just bigger steppers.

1.JPG

sswilson

Staff member

I suspect I've got the fan mounting holes worked out.....

Perfect example of just not knowing how to do something relatively simple.... I found a reference that 120mm fan holes were 105mm apart but then was having difficulty figuring out how to line 4 void holes up at exactly 105mm when tinkercad has a fixed starting view point to the workplane that makes it impossible to zoom into the edges/corners of the grid.

I started out by setting the grid to 120mm thinking that I'd be able to zoom in and set the center of the hole on -5 mm point, but was unable to zoom in close enough to see that clearly.... I finally had a lightbulb moment and realised that I could set the grid to 105mm in order to place the center of the holes exactly on the corners, and then expand the grid to 120mm so that I could drop the full model down on top of the holes and easily line it up against the grid.

That's probably self evident to anybody who's familiar with doing CAD, but just wasn't something that had occurred to me as something I could do.

I've already got one draft printed off that verified the fan hole spacing as being correct, but I didn't have the model perfectly centered on the workplane so it was out by 1mm on two edges so I re-aligned it and am printing off another test to verify.

Now that I'm thinking of it.... once I had the 105mm spacing on the 4 holes, I could have grouped them together and then centered that entire group against the main model.......

danmitch1

If it makes sense to you why not? I wish I could chime in but I never tried tinkercad..

sswilson

Staff member
If it makes sense to you why not? I wish I could chime in but I never tried tinkercad..

Part of the problem with tinkercad is that it doesn't have any kind of "measure between these two points" functionality other than in relation to the outer edge of the model touching the work plane, and even when it is showing measurements it's often against where the part you're moving started out as opposed to against the global position on the grid. (I'm probably not explaining that very well... :) ).

Either way... yeah, this method makes sense to me for use in tinkercad thus is a new tool for me when making designs. :)

lowfat

Staff member
Have you tried watching any Fusion 360 basics vids? You'd just import a 120mm fan model from GrabCAD and measure against it.

danmitch1

Not sure this translates at all but a quick and dirty trick I use in 3ds max is to just make a dummy object ( a rectangle in my case ) of the measurement I need and use the snap to vertex function..

trick.png

Latest posts

Twitter