What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Note to self:

If you're doing a multi-day print that happens to have a lot of supports, don't forget that there's a support print speed adjustment. :)

I figure I added 8 - 12 hrs onto this print by not adjusting that up to 60 (from 40).

Open Air PSU Base support CU.jpg

The first pic made it look like the support was solid... here's a closeup so you can see it's not quite as much plastic as it looks like, but OTOH, all those support lines are being done at 40. :(

edit: And I'm not really sure what's going on with the blobbing at the corners. It's specifically happening to the support structure, but doesn't look like it's going to affect the model.

1635773013479.png

Looks like this is going to stretch into a 2+ day print. :)

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... well 1Day 17hrs 20min to print and it's all for naught.

That was a complete and utter failure!!!! I was concerned about the corner "joints" and apparently rightly so. One snapped while I was trying to remove the support, and the second one snapped while I was attempting to put a long screw into it to secure the whole thing.

Ah well.... live and learn. I'm thinking I'll just print off some legs that are tall enough to clear the PSU and call it a day. :)

Open Air PSU Base support broken.jpg

Open Air PSU Base support broken cu.jpg

Probably not going to revisit this, but if I did, a relatively simple solution would be to incorporate a round channel in each corner upright that a length of threaded stock could be inserted into and then secured at each end with a nut.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Printing vertically with thicker walls might have helped as well.

edit: I've got a couple of ideas percolating around in my head.... I may revisit this sooner rather than later with countersunk screw holes incorporated into the model.

I'm still going to print off the legs (already started) but this might be a project to continue on with. :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

Plan B.

I'll print off 6 individual columns with screw holes incorporated on both ends. That'll give me extra internal walls for the screws as well as full walls top/bottom where they mate with the base and the upper motherboard tray.

sswilson

Staff member
Much easier to print, and the use of separate columns secured with screws top/bottom should make it damn near bullet proof. I also beefed up the walls (mainly to increase solid line count around the screw holes).

Currently printing off a new top tray base, and then will decide the shape/orientation of the columns.

Am I correct in assuming that printing the columns laying flat will eliminate any issues I had previously WRT shearing across layers?

sswilson

Staff member
Open Air PSU disasembled.jpg

Open Air PSU assembled no PC.jpg

Cross posted from the pictures thread (since I started in here).

That's what I came up with. Holes are integral to the models and walls were set to 4 so there's tons of meat both for strength and to allow drilling/reaming for best fit of the screws. Posts/columns were printed flat to prevent them from shearing, and again have a void hole down the entire length for strength.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gIQz6X8h6iz

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gcJLXW4HPJg

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/eWM0aNS8l5e

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter