What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
I didnt investigate further as it printed no problem for 2 hours afterwards. The temperature fluctuations stopped instantly after moving the pc away from the wires with really stable temps as well.

Im pretty convinced it was just that but not a bad idea to check that though.. Ill take a closer look and see its loose. As far as a flaky thermistor goes, is there a way to check to see if its working properly aside from swapping it out for a known working unit?

Bring it up to temp and then manually move the wires/bundle to see if that has an effect on temps?

danmitch1

Bring it up to temp and then manually move the wires/bundle to see if that has an effect on temps?
I give that a go too. If it is indeed interference, do you guys know of a good (cheap) product for wire shielding? Im reading random things that long runs of thermistor cable can be susceptible to noise.

lowfat

Staff member
4 years inside a headlight. Ranging from 75C in summer to -45C in winter. PC-ABS.
3wdnjhW.jpg

These see way higher temps. Up to about 110C. Still holding up fine. Was worried once I found out that PC-ABS has a Tg of around 112C. Everyone in the headlight modding community told me it wouldn't work.
iiM2dyf.jpg

danmitch1

I finally had some time to take a closer look at this and you hit the nail on the head, I did exactly what you said and the temp got all wacky again. I really hoped it wasnt that cause I had to destroy my beautiful wire management but I suppose its better than having to buy a new thermistor.

Turns out I left a quick connector on the hotend thermistor extension and it was inside the main wire loom. When I put my pc next the the printer, I must have snagged the loom and loosened the quick connector. I hot glued it together and wrapped up the loom again, back to normal!

Izerous

Folding Team
Have not printed in a while and got back to a few small things recently especially since I'll need it for a few things I have planned. One of the things I have seriously been considering is something like the Lack table enclosures however people either re-locate the electronics or they cook them inside the enclosure.

What I was pondering but couldn't find any examples of was simply taking something like rubber mating or other things I have laying around and using that to isolate the top & bottom from each other and venting the bottom separately from the rest of the enclosure. Does it not work, or am I just not looking hard enough for examples.

danmitch1

Have not printed in a while and got back to a few small things recently especially since I'll need it for a few things I have planned. One of the things I have seriously been considering is something like the Lack table enclosures however people either re-locate the electronics or they cook them inside the enclosure.

What I was pondering but couldn't find any examples of was simply taking something like rubber mating or other things I have laying around and using that to isolate the top & bottom from each other and venting the bottom separately from the rest of the enclosure. Does it not work, or am I just not looking hard enough for examples.
Not sure what you mean?

Izerous

Folding Team
Not sure what you mean?
This is just construction paper but using some kind of matting to isolate the bottom of the printer from the heated section inside the enclosure so the printers eletronics don't need to be disassembled or risking overheating them. Only the upper print section of the printer would actually be above the matting.

Attachments

• 20211214_110127.jpg
    20211214_110127.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I made a sign for my friend's daughter's chicken coop. This is the biggest piece I've cut on my CNC machine, it's 12x30" or about 30x75 cm.

It's just out of a piece of shelving pine, looking for a rustic feel.

Chick Inn.jpg

I've also cut a dozen things that my wife and I are using to make ornaments for friends, will post a photo of those when we're done.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So my wife and I collaborated on these. I cut and painted them, she used her Silhouette for the lettering and hot glued the little wreaths on. They're 14x14 cm. These ones are cut out of 3/8" Baltic Birch ply. We also cut some out of 1/4" Oak that are stained, not done those yet. They took 3 minutes each to cut once I had the machine zeroed in. A fun little project.

Xmas Ornaments.jpg

Latest posts

Twitter