What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... yeah, building up a stock of multiple colours takes some time & money.

Good to hear that everything finally appears to be working as advertised. Did that model ship with some form of automatic bed leveling?

Bond007

Heh.... yeah, building up a stock of multiple colours takes some time & money.

Good to hear that everything finally appears to be working as advertised. Did that model ship with some form of automatic bed leveling?
No, completely manual. I have honestly had very few issues with it (knock on wood). Just the basic go around the adjustments a couple times until the nozzle is grabbing the paper a bit and then hit print.

Izerous

Folding Team
Thankfully in Edmonton there are a bunch of sources for filament but often black is still usually sold out at places like wholesale hobby

Bartacus

It's been a while since I posted, what a crazy 6 months. Got stressed out at work, left my old job at Shared Cervixes Canada to go back to the RCMP, and doing that just before Christmas wasn't exactly great timing!! So I was neglecting my hobbies, just didn't have the mental brain power at the end of the day to play with printers. But things are much better now, and I needed to clean up the 3d-printer-related mess that was my guest bedroom.

This meant finally setting up the Creality enclosure I bought months back, and putting the Ender 3 V2 into that thing to hopefully print some decent ABS+ parts for a liner rail conversion on my Ender 5 Plus. So I put the enclosure together, added in some rope light I had laying around for the interior, and set that monster up on top of a coffee table, hanging out of the closet of my home office.

F9GvpyIl.jpg

The rope light is a bit weak, it may not be ideal. But it's what I had laying around.

TQmNl9Wl.jpg

Who needs fancy 3d-printed webcam mounts, when you can just use old toilet paper rolls and a wrench, LOL!

QSZOiM2l.jpg

All bagged up, about to do it's first ABS+ prints at 110 bed temp:

MoMRapEl.jpg

Working away, through a blurry window:

JcKF1O1l.jpg

Since I was blowing the dust off printers, I fired up Bartie-5, printing a test dragon benchy with some extremely hairy carbon fibre PETG.

HCUfcqBl.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
Prusa got a MINTEMP error today. Break in bed thermistor wire somewhere. And it is such a PITA to remove it in my setup.

Got it taken apart, have the bed sitting outside. Hoping that the cold weather can allow the bed insulation I'm using to release w/o me damaging the insulation.

Going to attempt to flash Klipper to it while it is down. Just need to figure out how to flash the 'defective' serial-to-usb it uses.

Bartacus

Lowfat: I'm assuming you've "Klipper-ized" a machine or two by now, how are you liking it? Once I get the linear rails installed, that's the next logical step for me too.

Bartacus

I'm liking Marlin (mainly because my needs are rather simplistic right now), but I do love the idea of offloading all the processing to the Pi. Heck I have it there for Octoprint / webcam purposes, might as well fully utilize the thing.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... I'm at the "If it ain't broke, don't F with it" stage. I'm getting reasonably good prints with little to no effort on my part so I'm not overly anxious to muck about with it even if there are benefits/improvements to be had. :)

Bartacus

Heh.... I'm at the "If it ain't broke, don't F with it" stage. I'm getting reasonably good prints with little to no effort on my part so I'm not overly anxious to muck about with it even if there are benefits/improvements to be had. :)
I hope to get to that point someday, right now it's all about the tinkering, improvements be damned, LOL!

Even though my basement is nearly without any light other than lamps, I moved both of my printers into the basement. The Ender 5 Plus is now in the Creality enclosure and loaded up with "Obsidian Black Sparkle" ABS+ from Sparta3d. The Ender 3 V2 is now under the ghetto cardboard enclosure, also loaded with ABS+ from Sparta, but "Sparkling Purple Mist" flavor.

RNVJe7gl.jpg

I've been toying with Cura's new builds lately, and this new lightning infill they have has SERIOUS potential to save TONS of filament and time, if you're printing large objects. I was printing a big cat, when I got stupid and decided to plug an endoscope cam into the Pi while a print was running, good move, totally gacked the printer. But if you look at the progress, you can see just how little infill this thing was printing:

Q5ycKnMl.jpg

For hollow things like the Gayerson cat or the blink fox, and other decorative stuff, this has serious potential for time / filament savings. Color me impressed.

Latest posts

Twitter