What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Bartacus

I predict everything will start going well now that you've made the proper blood sacrifice..... ;)
Indeed, I blessed a LOT of parts in blood, including my sofa, multiple carpets, etc. These parts are tricky though, I literally broke almost every piece of that EVA carriage, just trying to get M3 nuts into small places. Trying to do that with a messed up left thumb makes you realize just how important your thumbs actually are, LOL!

Bartacus

Finally making some progress! This conversion has been in the works for literally MONTHS, and to finally make some headway feels bloody good, mutilated thumb be damned!

450mm LDO rail installed on the top, which was MUCH easier than the sides since it just had to drop down:
TSfkWecl.jpg

Printed end cap to protect the cartridge from coming off:
ZHYCI1vl.jpg

Printed piece to relocate the X-axis end stop to a side mount:
EMvFraRl.jpg

Now we finally get to see how this all begins to come together. Giggity.
HbPdtCjl.jpg

Doing surgery to clean out holes before trying to pull-fit M3 nuts. I've cracked enough pieces of this carriage assembly to learn patience.
BvsyKcUl.jpg

This tiny thing was a bit of work, since it's small and delicate, and I'm a clumsy oaf, so I took my sweet time:
zNtSmhvl.jpg

That sits onto the Dragon hot end assembly like so:
hDDzE8Ql.jpg

Once you put it together with the X-gantry piece, it starts to come together:
r0m1KuEl.jpg

That little linkage piece brings it all together on the bottom:
evTHhMfl.jpg

Not exactly related, but my PLA PSU supports began sagging badly when I enclosed this thing (no shock there). So I reprinted new ones in CF PETG:
b2vEzIQl.jpg

Progress is good!

Izerous

Folding Team
So I'd like to grow some of my tooling for side work. Really what the next most useful thing would be is a laser cutter / burner however starting to look into these the really cheap ones like MPCNC seem to review very poorly as an actual CNC with stability and flex issues due to the weakness in the printed parts to build them. This seems like it would be less relevant for something that will be dedicated to a laser and not have a router/rotary tool mounted to it but I'm not finding less information about dedicated laser usage.

My goal would be a custom size to burn patterns, lettering etc onto planks probably looking for a working area of 1ft by 2ft. The amount of time I could save on some side projects that I'd normally burn by hand could be huge. Some very limited cutting of very thin materials might happen (Vinyl, Veneer etc)

Also with a laser I assume I'd need just enough Z movement to handle the thickness of materials I'd plan on cutting/burning? Ie If i planned to do something silly and attempt to cut a 2x4 I'd need at-least 1.5in of z movement support?

Bartacus

Izerous: wish I knew bud, hopefully lowfat will see your post, buried in me spamming my upgrades. :cool:

Speaking of which, I'm done for the night. I found out I need M3-25 bolts, and I have everything BUT those. Got loads of smaller M3 bolts (5mm - 20mm), and some bigger ones (35mm+), but I'm missing the one size I need, go figure.

Since I destroyed this piece last night with impatience, I took my time this time around. There are two nuts that need to be placed very close to the air duct on this piece, and those were a royal pain.
PZc9Snkl.jpg

Pain:
79d8MFel.jpg

Four more on the back:
GSChWyXl.jpg

Two more on the front:
dz6nbUGl.jpg

Almost missed two nuts that needed to be placed in the MGN rail top piece:
VRl5Jj3l.jpg

Got em both in, and one side cracked. And I'm not reprinting this crap unless it explodes!!!
XCOc5XRl.jpg

Another piece I broke and had to re-print, was uber careful this time:
UGt1oXWl.jpg

One piece swelled a bit but didn't crack. These parts are hard to get nuts into even when you're careful!
extZ4dDl.jpg

Together again:
xe8woUml.jpg

Mounted up for a test, front:
JUYTDjJl.jpg

Rear, forgot the 5015 fan, D'OH!
Gjcx0XSl.jpg

Latest posts

Twitter