What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
My buddy at work is using a resin printer for some similar things. Mostly his Warhammer 40k stuff.

Apparently its uber-cheap. And he showed me the quality. For small-ish sized items (I think his printer is an 20cm cubed bath) its great.
20cm cubed would be absolutely massive for a resin printer and would be like $2K+.

But small printers are real cheap. $500 should get you a ~5x3x6.5in printer + a curing station. But they smell are nasty. And a lot of post processing compared to FDM printers.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I know nothing about 3D printing, but saw this article on a metalwork tool that helps clean up parts, so thought I'd share in case someone finds this a good and useful idea.

lowfat

Staff member
My Creality K1 has shipped. I'm hoping it is good. The only 'reviews' are 2 small YT channels. Both of them really don't seem to know a whole lot about 3d printers.

Izerous

Folding Team

lowfat

Staff member
TBH I hate the deburring tool. I always end up with a worse looking part. Small cuts in to it everywhere. I find a hobby knife or the file (side without the burr) works a lot better.

Izerous

Folding Team
TBH I hate the deburring tool. I always end up with a worse looking part. Small cuts in to it everywhere. I find a hobby knife or the file (side without the burr) works a lot better.
Actually last time I was in a hobby shop i picked up a small set of hobby file meant for cleaning up the nubs on scale models and such. I should buy a second set to keep with the printer. I could see them working a lot better than the deburring tool and it does have a tendancy to want to grab etc.

lowfat

Staff member
Got the Creality K1 today. Broke the Creality K1 today.....

First I'll say I cannot recommend this thing. Spend the extra and get the Bambu.

Mechanics:
On a CoreXY machine the belts need to be parallel to the rails. When they are not parallel it causes belt tension to vary depending on the print head location. But it really seems to be Creality engineers hadn't done enough research on CoreXY printers before designing the K1.

Second issue is the filament runout sensor. I couldn't even load filament until I took it apart. The path on the exit of the sensor isn't constrained and it allows the filament to jam inside. Have no idea how this couldn't be caught before manufacturing.

And a small issue is the lid gets hit and gets pushed up every single time it reaches the left edge. The bed seems to be mounted with about 2mm of slope from back to front, should be able to fix it by releasing tension on the Z belt and realigning.

The frame feels really solid. It looks really good. Great quality steppers. Cooling seems A+. Belts are genuine Gates.

Software:
The WebUI is garbage. 90% of the time buttons seem to do nothing. Layout is terrible. Such a massive downgrade from the popular Klipper UIs. But the big problem is Creality hasn't released the source code. So you are stuck w/ and a locked down printer until they do so. Creality Slicer kinda sucks. And for some reason the profiles for the K1 in the slicer are 50% slower than what was included on the printer. Benchy on the printer, 16minutes. Benchy for the fastest profile in the slicer, 31 minutes. I don't think their are profiles for any other slicer ATM.

Printing:
I've only printed the benchy and the first layer test that are included on the printer. Benchy was good. Big bulge on the hull line though, probably from a slicer that doesn't use arachne. Otherwise it is fantastic. First layer wasn't great. One corner was patchy, hopefully by taking the belts off to level the bed properly will help.

It is LOUD. Like 60dB with it closed up. About 65dB with the top lid off.

And how I broke it? Tried to change the nozzle. When I pulled the sock off it looks like it ripped the thermistor right off. It seems to simple be glued to the outside of the heater block.

lowfat

Staff member
And hacked. Someone already figured out how to get root access on the Creality K1 so I no longer need to use their crappy UI. I finally get access to all the config files and the much needed console. Now can do my own tuning instead of relying on the factory one.
Capture.JPG

Izerous

Folding Team
For CNC machines is there anything that can do full 4x8 sheets like the lowrider for an even remotely comparable price?

Latest posts