What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Check out robotdigg.com for parts too. I bought about $100 US worth of parts, paid $30 US to ship them and they showed up via DHL in 4-5 days. I'm pretty patient, but not 2-3 months patient. :biggrin:

lowfat

Staff member
Check out robotdigg.com for parts too. I bought about $100 US worth of parts, paid $30 US to ship them and they showed up via DHL in 4-5 days. I'm pretty patient, but not 2-3 months patient. :biggrin:

They don't have everything I need though. So somethings I'd need to wait for anyways. Might as well wait for everything. :whistle:

Got a bunch of filaments recently. 1KG of HIPS, 1.5KG of TPU, 0.5KG of PVA, another 1KG of PETG, and 1KG of polycarbonate. HIPS and PVA are generally used for support material. PVA is actually water solulable. TPU is an extremely flexible plastic. Polycarbonate is the hardest printable plastic and its glass temperature is 100C, which makes it good to use outdoors. I'm going to be using it for headlight modding parts. Also bought a BuildTak sheet and some AquaNet hairspray. Haven't tried the BuildTak yet but the AquaNet is fantastic stuff for making prints stick. Even w/o a heated bed my PLA is sticking like crazy.

EDIT: All parts for the Prusa are ordered. I think I spend $555 CAD on everything. Will be close to the Prusa Rework shown here.
Prusa i3 Rework by eMotion-Tech - Thingiverse

Went w/ a wood frame though to save money. Going to be using a E3D Chimera dual extruder clone plus E3D Titan extruder clones. If they don't perform well enough I'll spend the couple hundred for the real thing. Also went w/ a Smoothieboard clone (MKS Sbase 1.3) for the control board. Actually looks like a very well made board and its only $75 versus the $230 of a real Smoothie. Also went w/ a fancy touch screen LCD. Went w/ 0.9 NEMA17 motors that plus the 1/32 step control of the SBase board, it should (in theory) be extremely precise. Also ordered parts to do auto bed levelling.

:punk:

Last edited:

lcdguy

Folding Team
Thought i would chime in. I have both a 3d printer and cnc router that i have been enjoying.

3d Printer: Flashforge Finder
CNC Router: 500mm X-Carve

Made a bunch of different stuff. Most recently a 3d printed case and buttons for a pigrrl 2.0 kit from adafruit :biggrin:

lowfat

Staff member
Thought i would chime in. I have both a 3d printer and cnc router that i have been enjoying.

3d Printer: Flashforge Finder
CNC Router: 500mm X-Carve

Flashforge makes good stuff. :thumb:

I ended up spending another $150 towards the new printer. I didn't think about the fact that I'd be losing width due to the dual extruders. Each hot end is 26mm apart, so that is 26mm on each side that won't be accessible by one extruder. So I'd lose 52mm in width, bringing it down to 148mm, which isn't good enough.

So I ordered all the parts for a 300x200mm print bed. I'll just mount the hot ends at a 90 degree angle so I'll lose 52mm of the y-axis instead. So printable area will be 248mm x 200mm. Which is still larger than most printers out there.

lcdguy

Folding Team
yup. i do like the printer. One feature i wish the finder had was a heated bed. It does limit the filament types that can be used.

I did get some nijaflex recently. That is some really cool filament.

gingerbee

about to grab my first diy 3d printer. I don't mind upgrading i just don't want to spend all my time building it and not building other things with it

A point in the right direction would help a lot so many damn diy's

lowfat

Staff member
Monoprice has a $150 USD Delta printer coming out very shortly, maybe a month away? It will be rather small but I think it would be a good choice to see if this is a hobby you enjoy or not. If you like it, you could use it to print parts required for a complete DIY printer.

Latest posts

Twitter