What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Heh... Red Green would be proud!!! :)

Great job of tracking down what you thought was the issue and then taking it further with the heatsinks and fan.

Did you consider moving the extuder back to the stock position?
Lol he sure would!

I like the feeder mount mod actually, what I will do however is make my own mount that is a bit more thermal friendly (y)

danmitch1

Lol. Extruder absolutely isn't overheating though. A stepper motor can handle above 100C before it starts skipping steps.
You mean the feeder idler thing? Its not overheating but the heat transfer from the motor directly effected how fast the filament was grinding down.

lowfat

Staff member
Is the extruder drive gear and idler bearing actually lined up w/ the filament path? Can you not lower tension on the idler w/ that extruder?

Stepper motors should never need cooling unless they are in a heated chamber.

danmitch1

Is the extruder drive gear and idler bearing actually lined up w/ the filament path? Can you not lower tension on the idler w/ that extruder?

Stepper motors should never need cooling unless they are in a heated chamber.
Good point, just checked and its pretty much right on give or take a .1mm
There is no adjustment on this thing , its pretty sh'tty tbh.
Doesnt look like the one I just ordered has any adjustments either....

The motor may not need cooling but it sure helps in this senerio! I guess this filament is less tolerable to heat? The hatchbox had 0 issues..
But as i mentioned, Im going to redesign the mount in a more thermal friendly way, hopefully enough to remove the red green setup lol..

lowfat

Staff member
Good point, just checked and its pretty much right on give or take a .1mm
There is no adjustment on this thing , its pretty sh'tty tbh.
Doesnt look like the one I just ordered has any adjustments either....

The motor may not need cooling but it sure helps in this senerio! I guess this filament is less tolerable to heat? The hatchbox had 0 issues..
But as i mentioned, Im going to redesign the mount in a more thermal friendly way, hopefully enough to remove the red green setup lol..
What extruder did you order?

danmitch1

This one, its a dual gear thats supposed to help with slipping..

Oh I forgot to add that I ran the PID with the part fan running. is it better this way or without the fan running?

lowfat

Staff member
This one, its a dual gear thats supposed to help with slipping..
I like dual drive extruders, but i don't think that is the issue. I probably pump out at least twice as much plastic per second as you, with just a 'single drive' extruder just fine.

Oh I forgot to add that I ran the PID with the part fan running. is it better this way or without the fan running?
Depends. In a good design, the part cooling fan should be blowing downward not toward the heater block. A silicone sock also helps.

danmitch1

I like dual drive extruders, but i don't think that is the issue. I probably pump out at least twice as much plastic per second as you, with just a 'single drive' extruder just fine.

Depends. In a good design, the part cooling fan should be blowing downward not toward the heater block. A silicone sock also helps.
What do you think the issue is with my slipping?

Hmm well im using the petsfang duct, it really is only blowing at the part maybe slightly at the tip of the nozzle and not the block at all (which has a sock)
So in other words, there shouldnt be much of a difference then right ?

danmitch1

Just found out you can load files to your SD via pronterface... I felt maybe i was wearing it out ejecting , inserting etc.. now i wont worry about that and can send files to it, print from it, all while sitting on my lazy @ss!

PS: just installed the Hotend fix by chep with some Capricorn tubing.. I made my washer half as thick as it seemed my coupler wasnt getting enough threads to be solid. I hope I dont have to take this damn thing apart again for a long while !

Latest posts

Twitter