What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
Just found out you can load files to your SD via pronterface... I felt maybe i was wearing it out ejecting , inserting etc.. now i wont worry about that and can send files to it, print from it, all while sitting on my lazy @ss!

PS: just installed the Hotend fix by chep with some Capricorn tubing.. I made my washer half as thick as it seemed my coupler wasnt getting enough threads to be solid. I hope I dont have to take this damn thing apart again for a long while !
Dood, you really should get a Pi. I can't imagine life w/o it. :p

danmitch1

Do you not use it? Pretty easy to install Octoprint on any Pi. They don't suggest Pi Zero W's. But they can still work fine if you aren't adding a camera.
Nah, i hacked my snes mini with nes games so its just sitting there.. but its got no ethernet cable so i guess its useless.

Bartacus

Octoprint was the first thing I did, easy as Pi (groan). I knew nothing about em, but picked up a 4b for Octoprint, since my E5P's Sd card has never worked right from the start. My first prints were done by hooking up a PC to the thing, LOL. But since the Pi, I'll never go back now. I'd actually like to integrate the Pi into my PSU case, but there's not much room, so right now it just sits in a little box beside the printer. It's totally wireless too, so no ethernet required (unless you prefer hard wired). I currently run a single Logitech webcam on it (920s), but I also have an endoscope camera that arrived recently, so I'm hoping to set up Octoprint with a dual cam setup, with the endoscope showing a good view of the nozzle. But rigging that up will be tricky unless i find the perfect model on Thingiverse. Very cool little toy, that Pi.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
I specifically avoided the 4 and stuck with a 3b because the 4 didn't have a pre-mixed "iso". (Based on his experience with Merlin I suspect danmitch might appreciate not having to jump through any hoops.... :) ).

Bartacus

I specifically avoided the 4 and stuck with a 3b because the 4 didn't have a pre-mixed "iso". (Based on his experience with Merlin I suspect danmitch might appreciate not having to jump through any hoops.... :) ).
Not sure what you mean, I flashed a generic Octoprint image with no hoops at all, other than setting up my WiFi info.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Maybe that's changed then. When I was first looking into it there was a 3 specific image but nothing for the 4 and somebody suggested that it worked but it was a bit of work.

Bartacus

Maybe that's changed then. When I was first looking into it there was a 3 specific image but nothing for the 4 and somebody suggested that it worked but it was a bit of work.
Yeah I believe it has. I'm a total Pi noob and it was easy peasy. But I also have some Linux experience from work, so that gave me an edge compared to most non-Linux folks.

lowfat

Staff member
It should be pretty simple as long as you are ok w/ an SD card. I just like to run mine on SSDs. Then the Pi4 is a nightmare to setup.

Latest posts

Twitter