What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Entz

Unless the cable is physically breaking the signal, it wont be an issue. Its a serial data stream with a data cap of around 14.4 kbps for most printers.

The screen power thing is know issue on a lot of boards and there is not much you can do short of maybe putting a relay on the power pins and use the main PSU as the driver. Unless maybe marlin can help. I don't have that issue on mine but I am not sure if that is a design thing or it just uses too much power for the Pi.

You guys and all your mods, sometimes if it aint broke :p

edit: I fail at math, 14.4k not 12

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Not that I've seen, but then again I'm going from an RPi direct to the printer so it's not exactly the same.

As far as the USB goes... it's not the cable, it's how the displays on the enders are wired.

danmitch1

I saw the SKR mini e3 DIP version has a jumper to cut power from the usb, not sure if the non dip has it or not..

Entz

Worth a try. May be a bit better at isolating it.

Thingiverse is a dangerous place when your trying to work. I have the desire to build a catapult now. No reason, I just want one :p and a hand crank flying turtle lol

Bartacus

Thingiverse is a dangerous place when your trying to work. I have the desire to build a catapult now. No reason, I just want one :p and a hand crank flying turtle lol
I recently saw one for a semi-automatic mini-crossbow, desire was the same, LOL.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team

Bartacus

Tonight I got down to solving my little extrusion issue. I suspect now that something got backed up like a toilet, which caused the extruder to basically be pushing filament into nothing, which is why it gave and broke. But since it broke AFTER the filament sensor, the extruder kept on grinding away like that for about 8 hours, while the print head moved and nothing came out.

Now I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods just yet, but knock on head, things are looking up.

The Luke Hatfield fix stopper looked firmly in place, and centered ok. That was not the problem:

But I noticed the little piece of Capricorn tube I had cut wasn't seated all the way into the hole:

I pushed that down into there hard with the ball end of one of the allen wrenches that came with the printer. It popped into place with a firm click. The nozzle was clogged pretty good.

So I figured what the heck, while I have the hot end warmed up, might as well install the E3D Nozzle X. While printing a raft, the first layer looks a little 'bloopy'.

I haven't tuned the extruder at all yet, that's tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this thing dialed in a bit. I'm still not ruling out either crappy filament (which I have not changed), or environmental conditions since it's printing in a chilly basement. But at least I have some hope now. I *think* the extruder still clicks sometimes, but it's hard to tell. It's feeding VERY well and quite quick. That spool is rolling. That's certainly better than clicking ALL the time, which I now know is a potnetial sign of a clogged nozzle.

EDIT: I hate this bloody hobby, LOL! Extruder clicking is back, grrrr. Tomorrow I'll swap out the filament and see if that helps. Or maybe I should try doing the extrustion tuning first? I doubt that will fix this clicking. I will be hearing that clicking sound in my nightmares!!!!

Last edited:

danmitch1

Tonight I got down to solving my little extrusion issue. I suspect now that something got backed up like a toilet, which caused the extruder to basically be pushing filament into nothing, which is why it gave and broke. But since it broke AFTER the filament sensor, the extruder kept on grinding away like that for about 8 hours, while the print head moved and nothing came out.

Now I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods just yet, but knock on head, things are looking up.

The Luke Hatfield fix stopper looked firmly in place, and centered ok. That was not the problem:

But I noticed the little piece of Capricorn tube I had cut wasn't seated all the way into the hole:

I pushed that down into there hard with the ball end of one of the allen wrenches that came with the printer. It popped into place with a firm click. The nozzle was clogged pretty good.

So I figured what the heck, while I have the hot end warmed up, might as well install the E3D Nozzle X. While printing a raft, the first layer looks a little 'bloopy'.

I haven't tuned the extruder at all yet, that's tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this thing dialed in a bit. I'm still not ruling out either crappy filament (which I have not changed), or environmental conditions since it's printing in a chilly basement. But at least I have some hope now. I *think* the extruder still clicks sometimes, but it's hard to tell. It's feeding VERY well and quite quick. That spool is rolling. That's certainly better than clicking ALL the time, which I now know is a potnetial sign of a clogged nozzle.

EDIT: I hate this bloody hobby, LOL! Extruder clicking is back, grrrr. Tomorrow I'll swap out the filament and see if that helps. Or maybe I should try doing the extrustion tuning first? I doubt that will fix this clicking. I will be hearing that clicking sound in my nightmares!!!!
Have you done a PID tuning? The new hotend most likely needs it.

Bartacus

Have you done a PID tuning? The new hotend most likely needs it.
Never done one, but I only changed the nozzle, not the entire hotend. Not *yet* anyway, LOL. But I will do a PID tuning, Extruder estep tuning, etc, this evening. But I'm changing the filament before that. If that extruder keeps clicking after all this, the entire printer is getting thrown through a wall, LOL!

danmitch1

lol
Ohh ok I thought you changed the entire hotend, PID tuning still might help! besides the blobs , is it printing ok? maybe you could ignore the clicking