What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Bartacus

Hrmmm.... if it's doing the PID tuning direct from the LCD screen (obviously incorporated with the firmware) does that mean it'll also update the settings or does that still have to be done manually from the console?
Not sure, I only know that running Marlin unlocks a lot of things. From what I read, you run the autotune thing, then run a step to save the settings to the board.

EDIT: scratch that, not sure if the autotune from the LCD stores the settings or not. I'm going through the PID tuning guide from TH3D as we speak, and that has you use Pronterface to talk to the printer.

Last edited:

Bartacus

Ok, I've just had my first taste of Marlin, and oh BOY do I have a lot of learning to do. This started out so simple. I had ordered the TH3D LC upgrade kit long ago, because I knew I would eventually want more control over the printer. But I had no idea what that would spiral into, as in flashing open source firmware onto the stock Creality board just to make a new LCD work! But I get it now. After flashing the TH3D unified firmware onto my printer, I *thought* I was good, until I went to print something.

LULZ:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Not sure, I only know that running Marlin unlocks a lot of things. From what I read, you run the autotune thing, then run a step to save the settings to the board.

EDIT: scratch that, not sure if the autotune from the LCD stores the settings or not. I'm going through the PID tuning guide from TH3D as we speak, and that has you use Pronterface to talk to the printer.
There is also a console option on the octoprint browser interface.

Bartacus

You've been using Marlin the entire time. 99% percent of printers have been using it for the last 5 years.
I get that, I was referring to flashing the TH3D custom variant, which opens a bazillion options the Creality touch screen does not expose you to. Either way I reflashed back to the OEM firmware and went back to the stock touch screen for now.

danmitch1

I get that, I was referring to flashing the TH3D custom variant, which opens a bazillion options the Creality touch screen does not expose you to. Either way I reflashed back to the OEM firmware and went back to the stock touch screen for now.
Im afraid you're going to have to take the (painful for me) learning to build your own firmware from marlin route. Its pretty neat once you get the idea though, you feel like a super nerd ! Lol...

danmitch1

Has anyone played with octolapse? Does it screw up your print at all?
Im liking the timelapse thing on octoprint, im not liking having a pc parked infront of the printer, i will eventually get a raspberry pi.
Which one would you guys suggest is the best model for running one instance of octoprint only? Something that will not effect print quality.

Bartacus

Im afraid you're going to have to take the (painful for me) learning to build your own firmware from marlin route. Its pretty neat once you get the idea though, you feel like a super nerd ! Lol...
I started programming in BASIC on a Commodore VIC-20 when I was 7. 😵 Nerd stuff isn't the *main* problem for me with Marlin. It seems easy enough to understand, but the fact that I don't know the basics makes troubleshooting almost impossible.

Here's a great example: with the TH3D LCD upgrade kit, you need to upload a modified Marlin firmware to your printer to enable the new screen. They include everything in the download package, all you need to do is edit the config to match your printer, compile it and upload the custom firmware to the printer. You're only supposed to need to change / enable 3 variables in Marlin for the Ender 5 Plus. According to the TH3D video install guide, you only need to un-comment the define statement for the Ender 5 Plus itself, another statement for the LCD change, and one more for the BLtouch. Sounds very simple.

Problem: with the latest TH3D unified firmware build, there IS no option in configuration.h for the BLtouch anymore. I found that a bit strange. The Ender 5 Plus COMES with a BLtouch, so I assumed maybe they moved that into another config file or something. I compile it anyway, and the compile works, but the firmware actually crashes when trying to print, with Octoprint reporting a bed levelling error. So I go back to Marlin, I manually add the line in the video I saw about the BLtouch, re-upload the firmware, same thing. Auto bed levelling appears broken. Also, the thing never centered itself properly with the new firmware. Home is now dead center to the BLtouch, NOT to the print head. It looks like this thing has NO idea what printer it is, so I suspect the variables for the Ender 5 Plus aren't being processed properly. I double checked to make sure I didn't make a typo in the configuration.h file, and I didn't.

This upgrade is suppose to be dead simple, and if I can't even figure this crap out, building my own will be impossible. Unless I can somehow pull the stock variables directly from my printer with commands, and then re-enter those into the Marlin code. I flashed back to the OEM firmware for now, and it obviously knows exactly what the BLtouch offsets are supposed to be. I guess this is all good preparation for the SKR 1.4 turbo install!!

danmitch1

I started programming in BASIC on a Commodore VIC-20 when I was 7. 😵 Nerd stuff isn't the *main* problem for me with Marlin. It seems easy enough to understand, but the fact that I don't know the basics makes troubleshooting almost impossible.

Here's a great example: with the TH3D LCD upgrade kit, you need to upload a modified Marlin firmware to your printer to enable the new screen. They include everything in the download package, all you need to do is edit the config to match your printer, compile it and upload the custom firmware to the printer. You're only supposed to need to change / enable 3 variables in Marlin for the Ender 5 Plus. According to the TH3D video install guide, you only need to un-comment the define statement for the Ender 5 Plus itself, another statement for the LCD change, and one more for the BLtouch. Sounds very simple.

Problem: with the latest TH3D unified firmware build, there IS no option in configuration.h for the BLtouch anymore. I found that a bit strange. The Ender 5 Plus COMES with a BLtouch, so I assumed maybe they moved that into another config file or something. I compile it anyway, and the compile works, but the firmware actually crashes when trying to print, with Octoprint reporting a bed levelling error. So I go back to Marlin, I manually add the line in the video I saw about the BLtouch, re-upload the firmware, same thing. Auto bed levelling appears broken. Also, the thing never centered itself properly with the new firmware. Home is now dead center to the BLtouch, NOT to the print head. It looks like this thing has NO idea what printer it is, so I suspect the variables for the Ender 5 Plus aren't being processed properly. I double checked to make sure I didn't make a typo in the configuration.h file, and I didn't.

This upgrade is suppose to be dead simple, and if I can't even figure this crap out, building my own will be impossible. Unless I can somehow pull the stock variables directly from my printer with commands, and then re-enter those into the Marlin code. I flashed back to the OEM firmware for now, and it obviously knows exactly what the BLtouch offsets are supposed to be. I guess this is all good preparation for the SKR 1.4 turbo install!!
I guess it doesn't help that there are no creality ender 5 plus examples included with marlin. Does the new lcd screen work with the default firmware? Im seeing everything in the config example for the 5 pro that you should need for the plus. Bltouch , filament sensor also alot of stuff in the LCD and SD support section.

Bartacus

I guess it doesn't help that there are no creality ender 5 plus examples included with marlin. Does the new lcd screen work with the default firmware? Im seeing everything in the config example for the 5 pro that you should need for the plus. Bltouch , filament sensor also alot of stuff in the LCD and SD support section.
That sure doesn't help, LOL! That was the first big curve ball, no E5P examples. The new LCD would be pointless with stock firmware, it needs Marlin, otherwise there's no point. WIth the TH3D unified firmware, this is all supposed to be accounted for, so I'm obviously doing something wrong. There's no real tweaking, just supposed to un-comment two lines (original video said 3, but you don't need to add a BLtouch line anymore). I'm back to stock for now, and I'm extruder shopping. I smell a BMG extruder in my immediate future.

Latest posts

Twitter