What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Bartacus

I tried to do some 'productive' printing. Not sure if these parts will work out, but I printed a Hero Me Gen 3 fan duct cooler. I chose this version since it has pieces for the BLtouch, as well as an option to reuse the OEM fans. This is also the first 'assembled' set of parts I ever printed, so I'm kinda geeking out on that. 🙃

The 4 parts apart:

Together (just loosely assembled, not screwed):

I also printed a 20mm calibration cube which tells me I still have work to do:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Keep in mind that you'll have to change the BLTouch offset to whatever the cooler design specifies.

Bartacus

Keep in mind that you'll have to change the BLTouch offset to whatever the cooler design specifies.
Yessir, this one is also adjustable. The BLT pieces slide together, and have an adjustable screw slot thing. So I'm hoping it should fit in the 'OEM' spot.

danmitch1

Thanks for your input guys, Looks like the consensus is the pi 4 2gb. Ive done a few time-lapses and the printer head always gets in the way and ruins the video..I guess ill just have to try the octolapse for my self eh!
Im guessing I could power it from the printer PSU with my stepdown converter no?

SugarJ , what kind of air compressor are you using there? must have a large capacity?

That Hero Me Gen 3 was my first fan mod, not sure about yours but I had to modify it to fit on the carriage.. I switched to a pestfang .

Bartacus

I'm powering my Pi stand-alone. I don't think it's a wise idea to power it off the printer PSU. You want to be able to shut that down cleanly, not just power it off. It's a little PC after all.

lowfat

Staff member
Pi needs 3A, if you are have a decent voltage regulator that can handle that current, then no problem doing it if you have a good printer PSU.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
SugarJ , what kind of air compressor are you using there? must have a large capacity?
It's a little Mastercraft 3 Gallon. There's just enough air flowing through to move the shavings. It runs constantly and can only maintain about 40 PSI with that amount of air flow. If I'm going to be cutting a lot of aluminum plate stock I'll be getting something beefier.

danmitch1

Oh ok, so you are better off powering with the usb i guess, I guess one of those fast chargers would be the best to avoid the low power error sswilson mentioned..

Only a 3 gallon!? Must drive everyone crazy lol.. those mastercrafts are fkin noisy!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
About the same noise level as my shop-vac. I keep the garage closed if the neighbors are in their front yards.

Entz

Is there such a thing as a quiet compressor anyways (assuming same room and not locked outside or something). They are all annoying as frig.

Latest posts

Twitter