What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
That's really bloody cool considering it's your own 3D design. Is there a process you're using to cut it up into printable pieces that'll ultimately fit together.

danmitch1

Thanks! Yeah, at the time of modeling the thought never crossed my mind that one day I might want to 3d print it. But thankfully the way I modeled it, I tried to keep the factory paneling true to show the most detail possible but, I modeled it for rendering only and was trying to budget the poly count so alot of the parts were 2 dimensional ( I deleted parts invisible to the camera to save on memory). I had to rebuild the back sides of alot of it, then virtually piece them together.. my little rotary tool is helping me for parts I didnt quite fit perfectly virtually.
1.png2.png3.png

Bartacus

Well after fighting with my bloody printer so much I had to 'cool off' for 2 days and walk away from it, I discovered something. I think the E3D Nozzle X that I bought has been contributing to my issues. It was clogged badly (still is actually, LOL). I had to tear down the entire stock hot end to clear things out. Thanks to me doing the Luke Hatfield fix, clearing up a clog is a lot more complicated. You can't just rip out the bowden tube anymore, hence why I tore the entire hot end down. But here's another clue: I bought a second Nozzle X for a buddy, as a thank you gift for letting me pester him with 3d printing questions. He picked it up yesterday. After 5 prints, and only 1 success, he reverted back to his stock brass nozzle. I'm not sure if these E3D steel nozzles have a pre-treating procedure or something, or maybe we got some bad ones, but either way I'm back to stock.

After printing some calibration cubes, and re-levelling everything for the 9 millionth time, here's a print going down with my known "good" filament, Noulei silk purple PLA:

This part of the 1st layer looks pretty clean:

This part does not:

Maybe that was a hiccup in the filament / extrusion, in one corner:

The other end looks pretty sharp, I *think* these are good lines, feel free to correct me:

If this print succeeds, I will be happy. It's less than 6 hours, so I will know tonight if it does (it's a filament spool mod, got me some skateboard bearings to go with it). Now I think I need 10 or 20 disposable nozzles, just in case!!

lowfat

Staff member
IMO unless you are printing abrasives you don't need a Nozzle X. But it is a steel nozzle, so you need to increase temperatures to compensate for the poor thermal conductivity. Like 15-20C more generally.

Bartacus

IMO unless you are printing abrasives you don't need a Nozzle X. But it is a steel nozzle, so you need to increase temperatures to compensate for the poor thermal conductivity. Like 15-20C more generally.
So THAT'S a key piece of info I missed, D'OH! I bought the nozzle X to print some carbon fibre PETG, and maybe some wood / metal filaments in the future. Had no clue you needed to compensate THAT much for the steel.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Suggestions for a replacement board for my old i3 clone? I can figure out the Marlin config, and hopefully my LCD display will carry over. It does have double Z motors. I'm out of touch on 3D printer stuff as I've been focussing more on my CNC router.

lowfat

Staff member
Suggestions for a replacement board for my old i3 clone? I can figure out the Marlin config, and hopefully my LCD display will carry over. It does have double Z motors. I'm out of touch on 3D printer stuff as I've been focussing more on my CNC router.
Seems like its hard to go wrong w/ the SKR E3 Mini (w/ TMC2209s), even if you don't have an Ender 3. But I'm not sure about your LCD working. Otherwise can just grab an SKR 1.3/1.4.