What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

lowfat

Staff member
Printed this case for my RPi2B.
Raspberry Pi 2/B+ Case by teravolt - Thingiverse

Printed w/ ABS. 0.3mm initial layer, 0.2mm every other layer. No post processing. As long as the pieces aren't really small ABS isn't actually all that bad. I use a couple of towers wrapped around the shelf where the printer sits to hold the ambient temp around 30-32C. Helps w/ shrinkage as well as holds in the nasty smell of ABS.

I've ordered some PETG filament to try out, which should probably be here tomorrow.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
My laptop needs to go for RMA (won't run on battery) so I managed to get Octoprint up and running on my Pi 3 yesterday to control my printer. Drag & drop web interface is pretty cool, easy to use.

I'll try to remember to post a pic or two of the parts I've been making for my CNC router.

BrainEater

Cool Beans.

It's been a while since I have looked into this , so I'll just ask the question ;

What's the cost of a new setup from scratch:materials etc all in. ??

lowfat

Staff member
Everyone should print one of these. Works awesome removing prints from the bed.
Spudger by clait - Thingiverse

OctoPrint is indeed awesome. Love been able to print and be able to shut off my computer if I want.

Cost? About $300 CAD if you are ok w/ a rather low quality Chinese printer. They work but require tweaking and there is a good chance you'll be replacing parts. Also maybe a fire hazard due to the poor electronics. I'd highly suggest relaying the hot end / heated bed and powering them off a better power supply.

Something like the Monoprice Maker would be a better purchase if you can afford the ~$525CAD + shipping / duty.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=15711&seq=1&format=2

BrainEater

Ok ,

So staples sells 3d printers.For a lot of cash last time I looked.

Any good ?

While I don't want top of the line , I don't want super cheap either....

Middle of the road plug-n-play 3 d printer ??

:thumb:

lowfat

Staff member
MakerBot's are absolutely not worth their price. They are mediocore printers w/ a seriously inflated price tag.

The Afinia looks ok, but it is crazy expensive for its build size.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
3.0charlie is running an XYZ Davinci I think. Supposed to be pretty decent for a plug'n'play. I'm more into learning about building them myself.

biff

I 3D print too. I have an older design that I got as a kit a couple years ago, a Prusa i2 that I absolutely hate. I've redesigned a few parts on it which has helped but the Z axis sucks and causes banding. In order to address it, it would pretty much mean complete disassembly of the entire thing then rebuilding, squaring, blah, blah. Not worth it at all so I'm working on my own design. I have a few ideas that are about 80% drawn up just need to pick one and go with it but the core XY type design I think might be the winner.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
3.0charlie is running an XYZ Davinci I think. Supposed to be pretty decent for a plug'n'play. I'm more into learning about building them myself.
Yup, pretty much straight forward. Nice build quality. But I did ditch the XYZ firmware for Repetier, and use Simplify3D over XYZ's proprietary software.

Latest posts