What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yup, pretty much straight forward. Nice build quality. But I did ditch the XYZ firmware for Repetier, and use Simplify3D over XYZ's proprietary software.

It was pretty much guaranteed you wouldn't be running it stock. I bet you've played with upping the print speed too. :biggrin:

I've been spending my "spare" time shoveling snow around the house since it started Friday, I haven't done any work on my printer or router since. Total accumulation of around 50 cm in my neighborhood, with another winter storm hitting tomorrow. I did order some parts for my next printer mod though. :ph34r:

lowfat

Staff member
I 3D print too. I have an older design that I got as a kit a couple years ago, a Prusa i2 that I absolutely hate. I've redesigned a few parts on it which has helped but the Z axis sucks and causes banding. In order to address it, it would pretty much mean complete disassembly of the entire thing then rebuilding, squaring, blah, blah. Not worth it at all so I'm working on my own design. I have a few ideas that are about 80% drawn up just need to pick one and go with it but the core XY type design I think might be the winner.

CoreXY would be a good choice.

I could throw a couple hundred in to this Chinese Prusa i3 to get a pretty decent printer. Or spend $500-$600 and build a very high quality CoreXY or Cartesian printer. I'm actually rather surprised I haven't had any electrical issues on my printer as it has to have over 300 hours on it now.

I have an Nvidia Shield & a TV in my bedroom that I use a lot. Wanted to make something to keep the remotes, etc a bit organized. Used ABS as I am trying to get rid of it. Had some layer seperation on the big piece. I have some ABS slurry made up that I may fill in those cracks.

Also made one for my S3P since it spends most of its time here as well. Switched to PETG here since it is so much easier to work with, minus its slow print speed. Forgot to make an hole for the stylus so I'll have to make a separate one I guess.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Have you made an enclosure for your printer? Keeping the print warm is supposed to help with layer separation on ABS prints.

And I've got some parts coming to rebuild my Chinese i3 into one of these: 3dWrx :: Home

lowfat

Staff member
Ordered an E3D V6 hot-end clone as well as E3D Titan extruder clone for the printer. Decided to upgrade what I can and see how it does.

lowfat

Staff member
Decided I needed to learn how to use Fusion 360 in order to do more advanced designs. Started w/ a computer case that I would like to print for a PfSense router.

Dimensions will be 320mm (12.5984 in) x 250mm (9.84252 in) x 155mm (6.10236 in). I won't need to use any PCIe slots so the PSU and SSD will be mounted directly over top of the expansion slots. Otherwise case will be pretty much the exact same size as the ATX board. Have to wait till I am back home in a week before I can continue as I need to get exact measurements for the PSU and IO ports.

Bloodystumps

Ordered an E3D V6 hot-end clone as well as E3D Titan extruder clone for the printer. Decided to upgrade what I can and see how it does.

If you are going that far why not get the multi extruder ?? I know you have to probably change the board with a smoothieboard or something that can handle more then one extruder..

lowfat

Staff member
If you are going that far why not get the multi extruder ?? I know you have to probably change the board with a smoothieboard or something that can handle more then one extruder..

Replacing the board is something I don't think I want to do. Having to mess w/ the firmware and configuration somewhat scares me. :whistle:

Working on a new design. This one 5cm shorter. Getting the hang of the program, although it is very buggy I am finding. I have noticed that navigating w/ a touch screen is awesome.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Replacing the board is something I don't think I want to do. Having to mess w/ the firmware and configuration somewhat scares me. :whistle:

Nah, it's easy compared to some of the network config stuff you do. The RAMPS 1.4 daughter board, the MKS Gen and the Ramps 1.4+ shipped with a lot of chinese kits are literally interchangeable and programmable using the Arduino IDE. The biggest thing is keeping track of your steps/mm for each axis and adjusting the firmware code accordingly before compiling and burning. And hooking your printer wires back up correctly, of course.

lowfat

Staff member
Nah, it's easy compared to some of the network config stuff you do. The RAMPS 1.4 daughter board, the MKS Gen and the Ramps 1.4+ shipped with a lot of chinese kits are literally interchangeable and programmable using the Arduino IDE. The biggest thing is keeping track of your steps/mm for each axis and adjusting the firmware code accordingly before compiling and burning. And hooking your printer wires back up correctly, of course.

My printer uses a Melzi board. I have zero idea how many steps/mm my printer is. :whistle:

Latest posts