What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, the link I found was super explicit. Use this program (don't remember the name) to burn the image (ignore the windows warnings about corruption/reformat) and then use notepad++ to edit the wifi SSID / Password in order to create a headless install.

I had an issue with the wifi, so ended up initially using ethernet and then set everything up using a kb/m + monitor.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
...Use this program (don't remember the name) to burn the image...

Balena Etcher if I was a betting man. Its used for most linux (et al) isos. I'm familiar with it from putting Android on my Nintendo Switch. Might be how I put on my pi OS too?

I'm lurking reading all this stuff you guys are doing. I cant justify getting in to 3d printing as I just dont have the use for a bunch of plastic cat nic-naks...but the tinkerer in me would love to lose days and weeks fiddling with settings & code...

lowfat

Staff member
I'm lurking reading all this stuff you guys are doing. I cant justify getting in to 3d printing as I just dont have the use for a bunch of plastic cat nic-naks...but the tinkerer in me would love to lose days and weeks fiddling with settings & code...
After learning to 3d model, they are by far the best tools I own.

danmitch1

What is the best part of using a pi on your printer?

I have to agree, this printer is the best extension of my 3d modeling skills. I haven't play any games since buying it lol.

Bartacus

What is the best part of using a pi on your printer?

I have to agree, this printer is the best extension of my 3d modeling skills. I haven't play any games since buying it lol.
For me, the ability to print wirelessly, and cam monitoring of prints for cool time lapses. :cool: And also potential troubleshooting of issues with print failures. I figured if I had video of the failure, it might help me learn what went wrong (or that I forgot to enable z-hop).

sswilson

Staff member
IMO remote monitoring of both temps/times and the camera are the #1 benefit, but having the controls easily accessable from any browser is a close second.

Being able to grab a quick look at how the job is going is great.... being able to remotely stop the print and raise the nozzle off of it when you see the spaghetti monster has visited is pretty cool too. Then there's the added benefit of being able to slice a model, save the file, and then load/pre-heat/print from a single work station.

danmitch1

But like for me my pc is right next to the printer. With Windows pro I can remote in from my tablet to do what ever with my new found use of pronterface. Im gonna hookup one of my ip cams with some timelaps software.
In my case im not sure i need it.. although, who doesn't like another gadget to tinker with lol!

Bartacus

Yup, especially now that we're all cooped up. I picked the perfect time to get into this hobby, LOL! Today it's "fix one thing / break another" day for me. I *think* I have my extruder clicking issues solved (or at least GREATLY reduced), simply by loosening the extruder arm screw just a little. I also found a reddit post about someone with the same awful squeaking I have, and decided to try a minor fix, basically followed these steps:

1> Level your bed.
3> With the bed perfectly level and raised to print position/level, loosen the 2 screws holding the top right front pillow block that holds the smooth rod.
4> Retighten the two screws again.
5> Repeat for top back left, top front left, top back right pillow blocks.
6> Lower the bed to about half an inch above its lowest position. Do NOT lower it all the way till it bumps the frame or anything.
7> Repeat the pillow block loosen/tighten procedure with all four bottom pillow blocks, one at a time.
8> Level your bed again.

Not sure if that will help, but my first test print is going down nicely. As for what I broke, well speaking of Octoprint my webcam just up and died, or quit working. Coincidentally, I very recently installed the Octoprint plugin for Cura so I could print directly. I wonder if that knocked something loopy. Cam seems ok, Windows 10 sees it fine if I plug it into my PC. Oh well, one more thing to fix once the print is done!

danmitch1

Yup, especially now that we're all cooped up. I picked the perfect time to get into this hobby, LOL! Today it's "fix one thing / break another" day for me. I *think* I have my extruder clicking issues solved (or at least GREATLY reduced), simply by loosening the extruder arm screw just a little. I also found a reddit post about someone with the same awful squeaking I have, and decided to try a minor fix, basically followed these steps:

1> Level your bed.
3> With the bed perfectly level and raised to print position/level, loosen the 2 screws holding the top right front pillow block that holds the smooth rod.
4> Retighten the two screws again.
5> Repeat for top back left, top front left, top back right pillow blocks.
6> Lower the bed to about half an inch above its lowest position. Do NOT lower it all the way till it bumps the frame or anything.
7> Repeat the pillow block loosen/tighten procedure with all four bottom pillow blocks, one at a time.
8> Level your bed again.

Not sure if that will help, but my first test print is going down nicely. As for what I broke, well speaking of Octoprint my webcam just up and died, or quit working. Coincidentally, I very recently installed the Octoprint plugin for Cura so I could print directly. I wonder if that knocked something loopy. Cam seems ok, Windows 10 sees it fine if I plug it into my PC. Oh well, one more thing to fix once the print is done!
Did it help? im going to try this too but i only have half the amount of smoothing rods though..

I installed my dual gear feeder yesterday. I had to increase my esteps almost a third to extrude properly. Im guessing the smaller diameter of the grip wheels were to blame..
Works well but its more noisy on retraction. The spring is much higher quality and the tension is adjustable, what luxury!

Last edited:

Latest posts