What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Bartacus

Did it help? im going to try this too but i only have half the amount of smoothing rods though..

I installed my dual gear feeder yesterday. I had to increase my esteps almost a third to extrude properly. Im guessing the smaller diameter of the grip wheels were to blame..
Works well but its more noisy on retraction. The spring is much higher quality and the tension is adjustable, what luxury!
Not sure yet, but I think it helped a little. I was having severe squeaking on z-hops, and that seems to be a bit better.

EDIT: I lied, it's still squeaking, LOL! Just took longer to get there, since I'm 13 hours into a 28 hour print of various parts.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Just figured out a cool technic to make custom supports ( only with 3ds max though..)
I dug out an old Danborghini aventador model I made in 2013. Im gonna try and print it like those old model car sets.
I have so far printed the back tire and am working on the rim, but the supports generated by cura were a bit excessive.
So I made my own supports by making a negative of the rim in 3ds max and designating it as a support in cura
support.pngcura.pngcura.pngwow neato1.jpgaventador rims Optimized & Chromed 2.jpgdanbo rim logo 1.jpgIMG_20200329_130836547.jpg

Attachments

• redone tire w mesh.jpg
    redone tire w mesh.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

danmitch1

I sent the front fender to my lambo before going to bed last night for a 6 hour print, i was woken up to a horrible noise at 2:30am and as i approached my office i could see a big spaghetti mess... but worse was it was still mid print and nothing was moving, just a horrible sound.. .. i powered down the printer and went back to bed.

This morning i checked it closely and AGAIN, one of the couplers slipped on the y axis shaft and tightened its self right up against the stepper motor enough to stop movement!

I fixed it again and its printing fine but I noticed that i have to tightened the fck out of the set screws for it to be solid. I was trying not to tighten them too much since i had to drill out one a while ago after stripping it.

I definitely need a solution to this, maybe a shaft that is "hobbed" and better couplers?

I really hope i didn't damage the stepper motor, it was stuck for at least an hour...

Bartacus

It's like the gods are under quarantine too, and they're bored, so they're smacking us around for their own amusement, LOL! My last print went sideways too. I thought I had licked my extruder problem, print was going down nice, and I wake up to the print head being in the 'print is done' position, but the print was obviously incomplete. Upon closer inspection:

lCnZvAfl.jpg

OMNOMNOMNOM!
VM7Ogmhl.jpg

So yeah, apparently you can over-tighten these extruders and pinch the filament to the breaking point, and beyond! Or there's an alignment trick I'm totally missing.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, I ended up removing the washer I had been using as a spacer for the spring. It wasn't eating all the way through the filament, but it was chewing it up a bit as evidenced by the plastic "sawdust" on the top of the extruder.

danmitch1

Odd though, looks as if barticus's is in the stock setup.
The dual gear one i just installed is adjustable.
See the little gold thing between the spring and red tube . Thats it, im sure you could find one and add it to your current extruder.
61TIDHRdrbL._SL1000_.jpg

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I managed to spend some time in the garage the last few days, got my new CNC build up to production ready. I just need to make some hold-down clamps.

Workbee wasteboard.jpg

That's 96 holes with inserts for screws. And I had enough reach I was able to mill them all out with the machine. Next Amazon order I'll add some more so I can fill in that last row.

Bartacus

I'd rather make this one work properly first. It's not the extruders fault if the moron installing it doesn't know what he's doing. :cool: Beyond that I'm already considering a direct drive extruder + hot end combo. I've been thinking about an all metal hot end for a bit, so I might just get a combo kit.

EDIT: and all my aluminum extruder does is click now. *sigh* Is there any firm way to know if I just have a crappy gear, or is this something I'm doing wrong? I'm at a complete loss. A 28 hour print was going perfectly fine, no clicking, albeit with some "cob-webbing". Then sometime overnight, the gears just grind up the filament???

Last edited:

danmitch1

I'd rather make this one work properly first. It's not the extruders fault if the moron installing it doesn't know what he's doing. :cool: Beyond that I'm already considering a direct drive extruder + hot end combo. I've been thinking about an all metal hot end for a bit, so I might just get a combo kit.

EDIT: and all my aluminum extruder does is click now. *sigh* Is there any firm way to know if I just have a crappy gear, or is this something I'm doing wrong? I'm at a complete loss. A 28 hour print was going perfectly fine, no clicking, albeit with some "cob-webbing". Then sometime overnight, the gears just grind up the filament???
You didnt add anything to compress the spring more?
From what ive read on that, maybe your nozzle is partially clogged, bad filament diameter, too low temps. Oh also nozzle too close?

Last edited:

Latest posts