What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Hmm 3ds max doesnt export .step.. does fusion use dwg or dxf maybe obj? anyway its not exactly something I need to do , im just wondering if that concept is do-able..
picture a cube , lets say 2" x 2" x 2" . the cube has an infill of lets say 20% but you want to have a solid shaft/cylinder that is 1/8" in diameter going through the entire cube.

1.png

danmitch1

So, im trying to figure out what i should do with my new hotend and direct drive print head.
Should i try and incorporate the hotend mount and bmg extruder as one piece, or should I print bmg extruder as a separate part that is attached later on to the hotend mount.

If I do try to go with a one piece setup should i design the hot end to mount right up close to the drive gears or have a small path of ptfe tube ?
2.png1.png
Im planning on making a block that screws to the hotend that then is screwed to the bmg extruder .

Should this part be printed 100% solid? Im planning on using petg.

lowfat

Staff member
Hmm 3ds max doesnt export .step.. does fusion use dwg or dxf maybe obj? anyway its not exactly something I need to do , im just wondering if that concept is do-able..
picture a cube , lets say 2" x 2" x 2" . the cube has an infill of lets say 20% but you want to have a solid shaft/cylinder that is 1/8" in diameter going through the entire cube.

View attachment 29286
Not sure about Cura as I haven't really used it in over a year. But PrusaSlicer / SuperSlicer have mesh modifiers that can do that easily.

You want the hotend as close as possible to the extruder. You'll gain more Z print height and a shorter travel path will be better for retraction and flexible filaments.

danmitch1

Not sure about Cura as I haven't really used it in over a year. But PrusaSlicer / SuperSlicer have mesh modifiers that can do that easily.

You want the hotend as close as possible to the extruder. You'll gain more Z print height and a shorter travel path will be better for retraction and flexible filaments.
Oh nice, ill have to download it.

Should I print the parts 100% solid?

lcdguy

Folding Team
i've been using prusa slic3r for over a year now and really like it. Even got my ender 5 plus working with it :)

As for the amount of infill that will depend on expected stresses, size of the part, and material printing with but as a general rule i normally print in the 5-20% for most prints and usually only print in the 25-50% if i feel i really need the added material.

I've never felt the need to print anything over 50% infill.

danmitch1

For a hotend and direct drive mount though, if not 100% infill what wall thickness?

danmitch1

PETG.. havent took the plunge into ABS yet... kinda scared of the carcinogenic fumes

lcdguy

Folding Team
OK i took a quick peek at the recommended settings for the printed parts on a prusa mk3/mk3s which uses a direct drive extruder.

Resolution: .20mm
Infill: 20%
Infill Pattern: Grid

As for walls/shells

Vertical Shells: 2
Horizontal Shells Top Layers: 5
Horizontal Shells Top Min Thickness: 0.6mm
Horizontal Shells Bottom Layers: 4
Horizontal Shells Bottom Min Thickness: 0.5mm

Could be some place to start.

As for ABS, if worried about the nasty fumes i think ASA is supposed to be similar to ABS but a bit better on the fumes side of things. Though unless you really need ABS PET-G is likely fine.

Latest posts