What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
It doesn't look like the changes would make much difference to me (assuming I ever get around to figuring out how to use it). A 10 "active" model restriction wouldn't affect me, and the restriction on exporting .step would probably only affect me in there being less access on thingiverse to easily adjusted parametric designs.

lowfat

Staff member
I have at least 100 'active' documents. And almost all of my designs used multiple documents. Even my 'Crippled God' in Fusion 360 has probably 20. I can probably drop down to 10. But I'll have to change the way I do my modeling and I'll need to upload a step file every single time I need a screw, etc in a model instead of just dragging it from a document.

sswilson

Staff member
I have at least 100 'active' documents. And almost all of my designs used multiple documents. Even my 'Crippled God' in Fusion 360 has probably 20. I can probably drop down to 10. But I'll have to change the way I do my modeling and I'll need to upload a step file every single time I need a screw, etc in a model instead of just dragging it from a document.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain for a large project. Tinkercad lets you save premade shapes/things like "screws" as a tool, is there no equivalent process for fusion 360?

lowfat

Staff member
Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain for a large project. Tinkercad lets you save premade shapes/things like "screws" as a tool, is there no equivalent process for fusion 360?
Well they are in the 'objects' folder. But they are still documents. So I'm not sure if they are counted. So I'm just going to be careful and export them all.

Entz

I have quite a few projects as well though most of them are not "active" per say. I wonder how hard it is to bring something back from the archive. Like is this just an annoying thing. Push 1 to archive, bring another back etc or is it a hard limit?

I never tried simulations it was on my todo list but now :(

I am sure this is a money thing, lots of people have printers now and are on the free tier. So I guess this is precursor to a "Home Pro" or something tier...

lowfat

Staff member
I have quite a few projects as well though most of them are not "active" per say. I wonder how hard it is to bring something back from the archive. Like is this just an annoying thing. Push 1 to archive, bring another back etc or is it a hard limit?

I never tried simulations it was on my todo list but now :(

I am sure this is a money thing, lots of people have printers now and are on the free tier. So I guess this is precursor to a "Home Pro" or something tier...
To un-achieve you do have to go to the autodesk website and do it there. But I don't think there is a limit.

I'd have no problem paying for the software, just not at their prices. At the very cheapest its $29/month.

Entz

Yeah 30/month is way to much for a hobby class thing you may only use for a few hours once or twice a month.

sswilson

Staff member
On the subject of vase/spiral prints....

Even with the ridiculously high "bottom layer" count forcing an 8mm solid printed base (still hollow as per the design, but up to that height it's full "solid" printing like you'd normally see on your first 4 layers) the savings in material is significant. w/ spiral enabled the slice calculates $.17, under normal printing it's calculating $.54 so it's in excess of 3X more expensive.

sswilson

Staff member

Been playing around with openscad in order to adapt a "parametric" thingiverse soldering stand into a stand for my 20mm round. Now that I've had a look at it with fresh eyes it's actually pretty easy to use for scad files with set adjustable parameters.

Thingiverse's customizer might be badly broken but this seems to do the same thing.

Latest posts