What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Pretty quiet in here lately... :)

Most recent project is a "mini" case for an ACER Veriton board. The original case only allowed for a single slot (low profile) vid card so I grabbed a mATX tray model from Thingiverse (I'll do a remix when I'm done) and cut it down so it would fit on my ender 3. Currently printing the second attempt at the tray (didn't use supports on the first and it printed, but would have required a hell of a lot of filing to fix the bridging over the motherboard IO shield) which has a second cut-out for a case IO panel I salvaged from an old case I had laying around.

I've already designed a base tray that the motherboard tray will fit into and will be working on the PSU mount + Legs for the bottom of the base.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/jxmt37fsX4K

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/cs5I3pS6Rgd

(Apparently I can't share a "Project" so hopefully these public design links will work).

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I've been doing other non-CNC projects recently, but found some time to wire up my watercooled 1.5kw spindle on Sunday while watching football. I'm waiting for another chunk of poly tubing to plumb the water pump in the bucket and will have before / after photos to post soon. (Hurry up Amazon!)

sswilson

Staff member
Water cooled as in it's got a constant stream of water to the cutting head/surface, or in the traditional sense that the components are water cooled?

danmitch1

Nice design there SW, your modeling skills are getting good! Are those pre made supports i see (on the card slots)?

sswilson

Staff member
Nice design there SW, your modeling skills are getting good! Are those pre made supports i see (on the card slots)?

The motherboard tray isn't my model. :) I just cut a chunk off of the side to make it fit on my printer and reduced the size of the support holes (it initially had M5 which wouldn't fit through the holes on the board). The material in the slot holes isn't for support, it's designed to be a break-away cover like you see on some cheaper cases.

danmitch1

The motherboard tray isn't my model. :) I just cut a chunk off of the side to make it fit on my printer and reduced the size of the support holes (it initially had M5 which wouldn't fit through the holes on the board). The material in the slot holes isn't for support, it's designed to be a break-away cover like you see on some cheaper cases.
Ohh ok , I thought you just used that model as a guide and designed your own off it. Break-aways, thats pretty cool..

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Finished mounting, plumbing and wiring the new 1.5 kW watercooled spindle tonight. I've got to go get some distilled water for the bucket yet so I wasn't able to do a test cut, but here it is:

CNC New Spindle.jpg

And here's the old 500w spindle for comparison.

CNC Old spindle.jpg

I had to change out the Z-axis motor too, the old one didn't have enough holding torque to keep the spindle from dropping into the spoilboard when the power was turned off.

So hopefully I can now cut aluminum easier, and will be able to cut the plate to change the z-axis from wheels to the MGN12 linear guides I have sitting in the drawer. Those polycarbonate wheels have too much flex in them.

Latest posts