What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Here is a project ive been working on.
Its a "corbel" to hold up some plants I have in the bed room based on this https://www.wayfair.ca/home/pdp/ekena-millwork-nevio-wood-vintage-decor-corbel-frtz2243.html
Basically copied it by eye but using the my rooms measurements and the planter that will sit on them.

Here are some renders, I did a rough model of my room to see how they would look.

render 1.jpgrender 2.jpgrender 3.jpgrender 4.jpg

I still need to design the mounting system and decide how Im going to print it. I think It will be printed in several pieces.

sswilson

Staff member
That's got quite the e
Finished mounting, plumbing and wiring the new 1.5 kW watercooled spindle tonight. I've got to go get some distilled water for the bucket yet so I wasn't able to do a test cut, but here it is:

View attachment 30585

And here's the old 500w spindle for comparison.

View attachment 30586

I had to change out the Z-axis motor too, the old one didn't have enough holding torque to keep the spindle from dropping into the spoilboard when the power was turned off.

So hopefully I can now cut aluminum easier, and will be able to cut the plate to change the z-axis from wheels to the MGN12 linear guides I have sitting in the drawer. Those polycarbonate wheels have too much flex in them.

That's some prime Mad-Scientist-who-lives-next-door vibe going on there... :) (Or is it a Bond-Villain-Underground-Lair vibe? I always get those two mixed up :) ).

Acer Veriton spagetti monster.jpg

The Spaghetti monster came to visit overnight. Guess I'll have to use a raft on this one. Worst part is that I destroyed my hot end sock cleaning up the mess it made. I've got 4 on order (along with a couple of the cheap creality magnetic surfaces that are back in stock) but I'm going to see what (if any) affect printing without the sock on has.

Last edited:

danmitch1

That bites! Speaking of socks, does your sock get deformed over time? Mine doesnt quite fit on as well as it did when it was new.

sswilson

Staff member
Not by enough that I noticed, but then I typically haven't had to mess with it.

edit: On a positive note.... it did give me a chance to adjust my model for a better fit. The PSU fit into the part that printed off, but it was a bit tight so I widened it. I also adjusted the rear mount to better match the screw holes / plug.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6LeYqwcGJn3

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I still need to design the mounting system and decide how Im going to print it. I think It will be printed in several pieces.
Nice idea Dan!

Do you know what a french cleat is? Basically you leave the back hollow with a lip at the top. The lip hooks on a piece screwed on the wall (or door frame in this case) and it's held on by gravity. The heavier something is, the harder it's held on because of the angles on the cleat and lip.🧐

images

danmitch1

Nice idea Dan!

Do you know what a french cleat is? Basically you leave the back hollow with a lip at the top. The lip hooks on a piece screwed on the wall (or door frame in this case) and it's held on by gravity. The heavier something is, the harder it's held on because of the angles on the cleat and lip.🧐

images
Read my mind! But didnt know it was called that :)
I had something like this in mind
mount.jpg

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yep. The french cleat is typically used to hang cabinets and shelves. Easy to cut on a saw with a 30 - 45 degree angle (or print on your printer). The advantage I see is that the french cleat will help press the corbel into the frame for a tight seal. Make your hanging block 1-2 cm narrower than the hole, it gives you some side-to-side adjustment if you don't get it mounted EXACTLY in the center of the frame.

sswilson

Staff member
Tree mode support is kinda neat when using transparent filament....

transparent tree mode support.jpg

Since tree mode essentially works the same way as Vase mode (single layer outer shell) it comes out looking like glass.

danmitch1

thats really cool, you can use the support after as some sort of decoration piece, glue on some more branches..🥴

Latest posts