What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Looks great, and the fact you were able to print a model comprised of multiple small(ish) components direct to the bed without having to resort to using a raft suggests you've got your level dialed in fairly well.

Bond007

Looks great, and the fact you were able to print a model comprised of multiple small(ish) components direct to the bed without having to resort to using a raft suggests you've got your level dialed in fairly well.
Thanks. I had issues today with making a filament guide, but it turns out it was not me/ my printers fault, but that part of the design was shiftedd up a fraction of a mm. I was able to get it to print correct by simply dropping the design down 0.2mm in Cura before slicing (removed the bottom layer...no impact to the design).

This led me to my next thought. What do you all use for designing your 3d prints (tinkercad, etc, etc)?

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks. I had issues today with making a filament guide, but it turns out it was not me/ my printers fault, but that part of the design was shiftedd up a fraction of a mm. I was able to get it to print correct by simply dropping the design down 0.2mm in Cura before slicing (removed the bottom layer...no impact to the design).

This led me to my next thought. What do you all use for designing your 3d prints (tinkercad, etc, etc)?

I use tinkercad which can do most simple designs without any CAD software training.

As far as the issue you had with the model, that exact problem is a lot more common than you'd think.

edit: Another relatively common issue with other folks' models is claiming that supports aren't required while they pretty much are.... :)

Last edited:

danmitch1

Just curious, I have my octopi hooked up using WIFI. I downloaded the octoremote app on my tablet and used the QR code to get everything setup.. Is this safe? like I havent forwarded any ports or anything... Im assuming its the same as my wifi surveillance camera, or is that setup not safe either?

sswilson

Staff member
I've only ever used the browser based interface which only works on an internal network IP. Does octoremote allow you to access it from outside of your internal network?

danmitch1

I've only ever used the browser based interface which only works on an internal network IP. Does octoremote allow you to access it from outside of your internal network?
Good question.. Ill have to install it on my phone later and see. But like, can you use the browser interface from a wifi connection in you network? I tried that, popped the IP in my tablet browser (on wifi) it asked for a password, I put the password I have set in octoprint and it kept say wrong password :S

My surveillance camera app works outside my network though ...

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yep.... You can try octopi.local if you don't know the actual IP, but that only works if the device is on the exact same internal network. (Otherwise... just check octoprint for the IP it's using and connect to that).

danmitch1

The octopi.local didnt work on my tablet over wifi, that seems to only work on my wired pc.

Latest posts