What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Bartacus

Well after 4 hours, it didn't lose any weight. Exactly the same as before, 1.113 kgs. Oh well, at least it looks like my cheap scale is really accurate, or at least sensitive. Plus since I have a pile of filament sitting for 1.5 years now, running a 6 hour drying cycle certainly won't hurt anything.

Bartacus

Added a BLtouch to the Ender 3 V2 today, still working on it actually, just took a lunch break.

Step 1, done last night. Get out the JST connector / pin kit, and make my own proper cable out of a 2m extension I had laying around.
XTSNMcDl.jpg

Step 2, also done yesterday, print a new shroud for the BL touch + stock fans that will fit the Micro Swiss direct drive I installed recently:
9a4VCpHl.jpg

BLtouch secured:
yHcce66l.jpg

Step 4, the fun stuff, running the wire:
dYOdNpZl.jpg

I routed the cables in front of the frame, that way the power connector for the extruder motor clears the frame at the top:
GuTo5Sml.jpg

I really dig this shroud. It might not be the best "performance choice", but it uses the stock fans as well as they could be IMO.
1oFmMQWl.jpg

It's working fine so far, all cables clear nicely, many tip ties were used.
lqAhkgJl.jpg

Now to properly set the offsets for the new shroud. I also replaced the bed springs with silicon spacers, so I still need to tram the bed, redo my e-steps, since I forgot to record the number before flashing new firmware (D'OH!), etc.

Bartacus

After much swearing, and then realizing I need to "reset to defaults" after updating my firmware, I finally got JyersUI running with the Micro Swiss direct drive offsets. Woohoo! I fought this thing all damn day, but I got er done in the end. I had to adjust my new 2nd Z-axis too, good thing I noticed it was off.

Loaded her up with some PLA Pro I bought from Canada Computers. Guy told me to print it hot, and he wasn't kidding. I started at 205C but it was kinda gloopy, but upping the temps seemed to help, so I'm printing at 220C.
MYS0Z1vl.jpg

I've never printed PLA this hot before, but it looks CLEAN so far:
CHFVIk2l.jpg

Back in the upstairs closet with webcam on a tripod / + Raspberry Pi for Octoprint:
SzFOF7Zl.jpg

Next steps for this sucker are things I need to meditate on. I bought the Creality magnetic PEI sheet kit for this thing, and the end goal is to ghetto-rig a cardboard enclosure so I can reliably print Sparta3d ABS+. Once I can do that, then I can start thinking about a Voron 0.1 in the very near future.

Bartacus

Super cute test dragon benchy finished. He looks SPECTACULAR! I'm am rather impressed with this "PLA pro" stuff!

Notice how crisp his toes are:
hRp9IZ5l.jpg

Layer lines are barely visible with this color, hard as heck to get a good pic of:
JzpmlCYl.jpg

This dude is CLEAN:
WCuCMRNl.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Last edited:

Bartacus

This isn't intuitive at all. :eek:

Definitely won't be using it w/o some sort of tutorial.
Sounds like a proper CAD program then, LOL! My Dad used to use Autocad back in the day, and that thing in the old days was just about the most counter-intuitive software I'd ever seen.

Latest posts