What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

danmitch1

Well I recently decided to change jobs. Which lead to a lot of depressing and unhappy thoughts. Thankfully I'm lucky enough to be in a position to move around, lots of people aren't that lucky. But still, leaving a near 20 year career in Canadian gubmint, just because Shared Services Canada is an absolute cluster-!@#$, I decided to cheer myself up by buying a new hot end, a Dragon high flow, special "Voron red edition", LOL!

38y6fmml.jpg

It's adorable:
aDaZu62l.jpg

This will go on my Ender 5 Plus, once I do the linear rail conversion. Up to this point, I have the parts for the conversion, but I still have some Z-axis issues. So I was on the fence about it, what to do. Why convert an E5+ to linear rails if the Z is still problematic? But then as luck would have it, I found this, and now my plans might change:

This guy designed a linear rail Z mod for the E5+, and I *really* *really* want to do this. It's probably way above my comfort zone in terms of modding, but this could potentially solve my Z issues for good, and will only cost me two more 450mm MGN12 rails and some 2020 extrusion, that I can source locally. Think it's time to up my printer modding game and get serious!
Now, have you found out how you are going to mount that puppy?

Bartacus

Now, have you found out how you are going to mount that puppy?
Yessir, I have a plan. Whether it will work or not is another thing, LOL! The plan is to use the EVA system from Rat Rig (https://main.eva-3d.page/). It supports the Dragon directly, and also supports the Orbiter v1.5 extruder I bought for this. I could also incorporate the current BMG, EVA does support that, and it kicks ass. But I fell in love with that tiny Orbiter / pancake stepper combo, so gonna use that with the Dragon. I just need to incorporate EVA into the linear rail conversion.

danmitch1

Yessir, I have a plan. Whether it will work or not is another thing, LOL! The plan is to use the EVA system from Rat Rig (https://main.eva-3d.page/). It supports the Dragon directly, and also supports the Orbiter v1.5 extruder I bought for this. I could also incorporate the current BMG, EVA does support that, and it kicks ass. But I fell in love with that tiny Orbiter / pancake stepper combo, so gonna use that with the Dragon. I just need to incorporate EVA into the linear rail conversion.
Ohh ok right. The rail system has a different x carriage than the stock ender one eh?

Bartacus

Ohh ok right. The rail system has a different x carriage than the stock ender one eh?
Well with the linear rail mod I started following, it assumes a stock hot end (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3960105). I have a lot of parts already printed in PETG for that one, but I might change my mind now. I also bought an enclosure for the Ender 3 V2, so the plan is currently:

1) enclose the E3v2 so it can print ABS+;
2) print EVA parts in ABS+ on E3;
3) tear down E5+, install EVA / Dragon / Orbiter + that Prusa rail conversion;

lowfat

Staff member
Nah, I gave up on it. I tested the dc in and saw 24v on the mosfet. At least on this board, the bed and hotend mosfet work. As a temporary solution, I hard wired the part fan directly to the psu with a dishwasher power switch inbetween lol...

I contacted BTT support about the newer board with the bad bed and hotend mosfet, sent a video of me testing everything and they said it was indeed a mosfet issue. They then asked for my shipping info that they would forward over to sales but I havent heard since.. I guess I may see a new board in my mail box suddenly or sales noticed that this is a RMA unit that is passed the original units warranty.

Worse comes to worse, I bought a cheap soldering kit and will attempt to tap into the signal from the bad mosfets and see if that will work with my external mosfets.

Any tips on what I tap into? drain gate source? No clue what im doing lol...

Even when it isn't about 3d print this is a good vid on mosfets.

New E3D hotend coming out. Toolless nozzling. Substantially different heater design. Instead of heating up a huge chunk of metal, it is mostly only heating the nozzle. Thinking about using 2-3 of these in the tool changer now.

Bartacus

Yeah that Revo system looks sweet, the heatup / cooldown time is ludicrous. The magic is in the little circular heater core. If I ever build a giant Rat Rig, maybe next year, I'd be looking at that for sure. The hilarious thing is the cooling fan, it's a tiny little thing, LOL! Nero did a little "race" on a recent stream, where he heated up a Dragon + 50W heater versus the Revo on another printer, the heatup / cooldown time is INSANE, literally twice as fast as the 50W Dragon, maybe even more.

lowfat

Staff member
@sswilson was asking if I was going to share my Dell G5 HDD mount. Minus whale.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Well with the linear rail mod I started following, it assumes a stock hot end (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3960105). I have a lot of parts already printed in PETG for that one, but I might change my mind now. I also bought an enclosure for the Ender 3 V2, so the plan is currently:

1) enclose the E3v2 so it can print ABS+;
2) print EVA parts in ABS+ on E3;
3) tear down E5+, install EVA / Dragon / Orbiter + that Prusa rail conversion;
Ohh ok nice, I didnt look closely at the EVA parts. Im on a long journey to get my dragon mounted with an aluminum cnc'd part with the orbiter extruder.. Ive stumbled into a VERY deep rabit hole with that one.. building a sound proof cabinet lol..

So far no new motherboard from BTT, ill have to follow up with them. Thanks for posting that mosfet video Lowfat. Ill watch that and see if I cant fix the broken board my self.

danmitch1

Ive got 2 annoying issues lately that I cant seem to figure out.

1- im getting this effect.
mee0mdckknc21.jpg
Google suggests, as I also thought, that im printing too close. My bed is leveled and passes the paper test when hot. If I back off any more, I get gaps between lines on my first layer.

Then I started seeing this on my LCD. sometimes It works fine and like an hour into a print it goes bonkers. Doesnt effect the print at all though.
Google says its interference and that I should shield my cable and make sure no other wires are too close. I made sure the wire was clear and then taped it with aluminum duct tape with no success.
bjpp0dxwvqb21.jpg6p0einf57uf21.jpg

:unsure:

Izerous

Folding Team
Finally sat down and fixed the mess i made of the hotend while attempting massive amounts of ironing. Put it back together with Luke's hotend hack... replace the bent probe tip... re-mesh just incase. Go to load a model into cura and cura does nothing but crash. Eventually get it to load by installing a newer version and now all my settings are gone. Copied over the backup files and it doesn't seem to detect any of them, still prompts me with 0 things pre-configured.

Latest posts