What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
Just finished ordering myself an Ender 3X 3D printer and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for me before it arrives (probably sometime in the new year I'd guess).

The "X" version got the nod because it already comes with a glass printing surface (my understanding is that this is pretty much 1'st mod folks want to make if a 3D printer doesn't already have it)... is there something I'm going to need as a surface treatement?

I've already registered over at thingverse, and found the first pre-made project I want to try out ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2503659 ) as well as a quick view of this site ( https://all3dp.com/what-software-do-i-need-for-3d-printing/ ) to get an idea of what software I'm going to want (they're suggesting "sketchupmake" or "123D Design" for creating and Cura or Slick3r for slicing.)

I'm going to be doing a fair bit of googling over the next couple of weeks, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions on best practices, and/or good resources to get me started. (unfortunately it appears that a good portion of the ender user base hangs out at a facebook page so that's not going to do me any good).

I have a funny feeling this could be a rabbit hole to go down..... :)

sswilson

Staff member
I already have one of the painter's tools. (Doesn't everybody who's needed to open a paint can??? :)

I'm pretty excited about playing with this... hell even my better half thought it was cool that we were getting a 3D printer. :)

Lpfan4ever

I missed out on the 3X with my humming and hawwing. Sounds like everything I'd suggest is already mentioned here. You're also gonna wanna invest in some patience, because it is a sloooow process.

sswilson

Staff member
I missed out on the 3X with my humming and hawwing. Sounds like everything I'd suggest is already mentioned here. You're also gonna wanna invest in some patience, because it is a sloooow process.
Heh... This afternoon I started out looking @ the Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer v2 that was on sale, but somebody suggested that the ender 3 line would be a much better choice... The price was a bit more than I wanted to spend though.....

About half an hour after looking at the ender 3, somebody posted a link for the Ender 3 Pro @ $276, and I was waffling on that until I saw the "X" on for $242 which I took as a sign from above that I jumped on almost immediately. :)

edit: I've also got the ender 3 reddit page bookmarked ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ender3/ ) and it looks like they've got a list of "print first" mods that I'm not sure relate to the "X" model......

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
calibrate the extruder, level the bed and X gantry. then adjust settings for speed, flow and retraction speed for perfect layers (under/over extrusion). last make a temp tower to adjust layer fan speed and evaluate bridging capabilities (makes for a need of minimal supports).

then make your first benchy.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't plan to print anything for the first day or two.....

Just looking through thingiverse.... the possibilities are endless even before I try to figure out how to create a 3D plan.... :) (Nice to see you 3.0Charlie!!! hope you're doing well, and best wishes of the season for you and yours!!! )

lcdguy

Folding Team
Congrats on the purchase, When i had an ender 3 (non pro or x version) i did the following upgrades tweaks.

1. Glass Build Plate (looks like your version has that part taking care of)
2. blTOUCH z-axis sensor instead of a limit switch, not sure if the X versions still uses a limit switch or not but i found this swap was worth it as it add's the ability to use mesh bed leveling. However it will likely involve some one way modding, and controller flashing (bootloader and custom firmware).
3. Depending on the material your are printing with an enclosure can make a big difference (mandatory for ABS).
4. Removed the gantry idler assembly (my ender 3 only had 1 z axis screw) and found sometimes it was sticking causing alignment issues.

Though i have since upgraded to a prusa mk3s and love it but realize it is not in everyone's budget. The ender 3 should serve you well until you want to upgrade :)

I get most of my filaments from either Filaments.ca or Spool3d.

For software i really like slic3r for slicing and autodesk's fusion 360 (CAD/CAM) has a personal license (non-commercial) as well.

Other tools supplies i can think of.

Windex
Gloves
Calipers

Also be careful removing your prints i've heard lot's of war stories about that. (unless you have flexible print surface).

Latest posts

Twitter