What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

Entz

Marlin is super easy to change and recompile once you have a boot loader. Bltouch only requires a few lines to be changed for example. I prefer to use custom configs (including setting defaults vs relying on eeprom) over precompiled ones.

its actually why I ended up with the GT A10 over the Ender 3 in the first place.

sswilson

Staff member
Well, the latest ender 3s do have some form of Marlin on them, it's just questionable as to whether or not they've actually got thermal protection turned on, and it's a PITA to update the firmware on it. This was relatively cheap, supposedly performs better, and quieter, will allow a plug/play bltouch install, and as I stated earlier, also has the benefit of what looks like a relatively short usb cable that'll work for the RPi.

sswilson

Staff member
Went back to the glass bed and it's still not printing well so I broke down and used the mega glue stick I'd picked up.... that seems to be holding the first layer in spite of it not laying down very well..... I'm printing off parts that need to fit together so I'm bound and determined to stick with this particular spool of filament for the head of the lamp I'm doing, but as soon as this last piece is done I'm going to swap over to a different roll to see if the issues I'm having might be caused by the filament.

I'm still getting results that are all over the place.... it'll print fine for a while, and then all of a sudden start printing as if there's a major underextrusion.... maybe I should try a different nozzle on the off chance I've got a blockage of some form.

lowfat

Staff member
What I do is disolve some PVA glue (elmers purple glue stick) in a water bottle. Thin spray it in super thin. Avoid touching the build plate w/ your fingers also.

sswilson

Staff member
I bumped the flow up to 103 in the tune settings just for the first layer and it seemed to make a difference for the areas left to print. Dropped it back to 100 for the second layer and it looks like it's putting down decent coverage for now.

sswilson

Staff member
Is it normal to get a ton of "Recv: echo:busy: processing" responses during a print job? I had a print shut down on me (quit half way) and octoprint was giving me some kind of "too many communication errors" or something along those lines. I thought perhaps that was related to me using paper to block the usb 5V contact so I moved to a different usb slot and rebooted both the RPi and the printer.

Restarted the print and everything seems to be going fine, but I decided to have a look at the terminal to ensure that I wasn't seeing communication errors and noticed this "Recv: echo:busy: processing" message repeating fairly regularly (seems to reappear between 7 and 15 lines of code.

I'm assuming it's normal and it's just the printer saying something akin to "I'm still working on your previous requests and my buffer is full".... is that a correct assumption?

edit: Hrmmmmm...... opened a new instance of octoprint (was getting a "too much to buffer" message an no more terminal responses, but now that it's no longer printing a raft I'm no longer seeing those messages..........

Last edited:

Entz

Yeah basically it means the printer is still executing the previous command and cannot accept another. I really haven’t looked too close at the terminal TBH as it zooms by pretty fast usually but I think that is normal.

connection issues are troubling though 😖

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah basically it means the printer is still executing the previous command and cannot accept another. I really haven’t looked too close at the terminal TBH as it zooms by pretty fast usually but I think that is normal.

connection issues are troubling though 😖
I think that's probably on me.... not sure if your setup is the same, but on the ender 3 the mainboard will draw current from the USB 5V pin when the Printer's power supply is turned off (It keeps the display on). This causes Octoprint to report back that it's got an undervoltage problem and that the user probably needs a higher current wall wart.

The ghetto fix is to cut a small piece of paper just wide enough to cover the 5V pin..... I did that and suspect that the paper might have shifted thus affecting data transfer rather than just the 5V line.

OTOH, if I do keep seeing communication errors, I'll do a factory reset on both the printer and the RPi, and if that doesn't resolve the issue I've got a new board coming in on the slow boat.:)

On the downside..... I had a "shift" on an otherwise decent print last night.... it was on a raft and the raft definitely didn't move so the only thing I can imagine is that the belt skipped a tooth. That was at the end of the night so I'll have to look into it sometime today.

Entz

Ah. Yeah mine doesn't do that.

Hopefully your new board arrives soon and you can forget all of that anyways :D

sswilson

Staff member
Confirmed.... that "Recv: echo:busy: processing " only seems to show up while the raft is being created.... maybe it's some kind of bug.

Latest posts

Twitter