What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... maybe I shouldn't have placed an aliexpress order so close to the Chinese New Year? Hasn't shipped yet, and if I'm reading the right references chances are I'm probably not going to see any movement until the end of January.... :(

On the "moar hardware" front... just grabbed a 50 pack of M4 X 35 socket heads at Fastenal.... $5 + tax... if I had gone to the hardware store they would have been over $1 each!

Also finally got around to picking up a small(ish) bolt cutter so I can stop having to use a dremel to cut down long screws as well as a wire rope/spring cutter to cut down the springs for that lamp project. (which turned out to be a much bigger project than I had anticipated.... :) ).

lowfat

Staff member
If you aren't in a rush you can buy screws, nuts, etc from Aliexpress for a good price and very high quality hardware. Even the black oxide ones have a great finish.

danmitch1

Ive skimmed through this thread as I too will be embarking on a 3d printing adventure.
After all your trial and error sswilson, is there anything you would have done differently when starting out?
Also are you still satisfied with the Ender 3 pro?

Im looking at the
Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer with Glass Plate Upgrade Cmagnet Build Surface Plate and UL Certified MeanWell Power Supply Build Volume 220x220x250mm

But then I saw the bigger Ender 5 plus, and then there is the Original Prusa i3 MK3S that is roughly the price of the Ender 5.

I hope im not hi jacking your thread!

sswilson

Staff member
Ive skimmed through this thread as I too will be embarking on a 3d printing adventure.
After all your trial and error sswilson, is there anything you would have done differently when starting out?
Also are you still satisfied with the Ender 3 pro?

Im looking at the
Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer with Glass Plate Upgrade Cmagnet Build Surface Plate and UL Certified MeanWell Power Supply Build Volume 220x220x250mm

But then I saw the bigger Ender 5 plus, and then there is the Original Prusa i3 MK3S that is roughly the price of the Ender 5.

I hope im not hi jacking your thread!
Nope, not at all, it's gone beyond the initial "what should I know before I start printing" to a general "this has been my experience so far" and "if anybody is still out there... can you answer a question for me" thread so I welcome anybody to drop anything 3D printer related into the thread. :)

As far as "would I do anything differently? " goes.... I don't regret buying the ender 3X, but if I had to do anything differently I think going with the Pro for the less sketchy power supply would be something I'd consider for the extra $30 it would have cost me.

Must haves that you might as well buy at the same time.... the only "must have" I've come across for the ender 3 line would be a set of leveling springs, but if you're going to grab those you might as well spend an extra $10 and get one of the upgrade kits that includes a metal extruder top along with the springs. (there are some on amazon, but they're also super cheap if you can wait for aliexpress delivery... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000080610288.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.4b7b5b72LgrPxw&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=9b750fc8-6957-4ce0-8d76-2f58fab25af5 ).

Nice to haves would be the RPi (I think the 4's are still on sale for $35 but I don't know if the octoprint distro works on the 4 yet) and probably one of those boards I bought a couple of pages back. At some point a BLTouch will probably come into play as well.

As far as other printers go.... I'll leave that to others for them to chime in. It feels like it really comes in as a pure money question beyond the ender 3. The ender 3 is functional and has a decent enough sized print bed, but throwing more money out initially can get you a larger bed and out-of-the-box niceties (like auto leveling) that you more than likely would end up buying somewhere down the line anyways.

Personally.... I'm approaching this as a hobby so the idea of wanting/needing upgrades to the ender 3 is part of the experience for me, and it feels like I'm learning a bit more about what's going on as opposed to buying something that was straight up plug/play.

Entz

Nice to haves would be the RPi (I think the 4's are still on sale for $35 but I don't know if the octoprint distro works on the 4 yet)
There isn't a premade distro for it yet (AFAIK) but installing manually is super simple. Mine is running on a Pi 4 (Because there is nothing like Overkill and the cost difference at the time was minor!)

There is a community provided copy of an older version but meh.

danmitch1

Nope, not at all, it's gone beyond the initial "what should I know before I start printing" to a general "this has been my experience so far" and "if anybody is still out there... can you answer a question for me" thread so I welcome anybody to drop anything 3D printer related into the thread. :)

As far as "would I do anything differently? " goes.... I don't regret buying the ender 3X, but if I had to do anything differently I think going with the Pro for the less sketchy power supply would be something I'd consider for the extra $30 it would have cost me.

Must haves that you might as well buy at the same time.... the only "must have" I've come across for the ender 3 line would be a set of leveling springs, but if you're going to grab those you might as well spend an extra $10 and get one of the upgrade kits that includes a metal extruder top along with the springs. (there are some on amazon, but they're also super cheap if you can wait for aliexpress delivery... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000080610288.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.4b7b5b72LgrPxw&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=9b750fc8-6957-4ce0-8d76-2f58fab25af5 ).

Nice to haves would be the RPi (I think the 4's are still on sale for $35 but I don't know if the octoprint distro works on the 4 yet) and probably one of those boards I bought a couple of pages back. At some point a BLTouch will probably come into play as well.

As far as other printers go.... I'll leave that to others for them to chime in. It feels like it really comes in as a pure money question beyond the ender 3. The ender 3 is functional and has a decent enough sized print bed, but throwing more money out initially can get you a larger bed and out-of-the-box niceties (like auto leveling) that you more than likely would end up buying somewhere down the line anyways.

Personally.... I'm approaching this as a hobby so the idea of wanting/needing upgrades to the ender 3 is part of the experience for me, and it feels like I'm learning a bit more about what's going on as opposed to buying something that was straight up plug/play.
Thanks for your insight, I too am just doing this for fun /hobby.

I think ill go for the ender 3 pro, add things to it like the auto leveling down the line . I am running out of things to add to my pc so i need something else to soup up lol.

I just need to find one that isnt fake! Seems there are a few on Amazon...

The prusa i3 mk3 is actually really expensive and hard to find in canada..
The ender 5 pro i found seems fake too..

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
What makes you think it's fake? Comgrow is the seller I bought my 3X from and this appears to be the same seller....

edit: Oh, I see you're referring to the ender 5 you were looking at. Is a fake, or is it (like Entz's) a named knock-off?

edit2: Hrmmm.... looks like Creality themselves have an Amazon store front.... they're showing an ender 5 @ $475.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Exactly, isnt the seller supposed to be creality for ender3 ?
Like this add
Edit: im reading comgrow is a reseller?
The certificate of authenticity is wierd too.on this one

And then creality 3d. Jeez

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, I don't absolutely know for sure, but I'm fairly confident that comgrow is a reseller, but yeah the certificate thing is a bit weird.

When I bought mine it was a lightning deal through comgrow, but at the moment it looks like the creality store has slightly better pricing. (I linked to both sellers above).

edit: the comgrow one OTOH claims to come with an extra tempered glass bed and it's only an extra $5....

danmitch1

Well, yours seems to be working fine from comgrow so i guess you already tested it out for me then !
Yeah, i have 2 in my cart the glass one from comgrow and the other "real" one..

The comgrow one is also offering the ender 5 plus with auto leveling.

Latest posts

Twitter