What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

danmitch1

Just went for the comgrow ender 3pro with glass upgrade.

I dont need that upgrade kit to start printing do i? I almost bought one on amazon but the one you linked on ali express is 3x less $.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
No, you don't need it immediately. You'll just have to re-do your levelling more often.

Welcome to the rabbit hole! ;)

lowfat

Staff member
Just went for the comgrow ender 3pro with glass upgrade.

I dont need that upgrade kit to start printing do i? I almost bought one on amazon but the one you linked on ali express is 3x less $.
IMO just remove the springs and double nut them so the bed can't move on the bolts.

danmitch1

What the fun in that, no extra things to buy and install? lol..

Do you guys have a secret source for filament ? are they all 20-30$ range for 1kg spool?
I saw a guy recycling plastic and extruding his own, sounds cool as hell.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Clamp unassembled.jpg

Clamp assembled.jpg

Ok, Printing threaded and snap-on parts that fit together is cool! It also feels surprisingly strong. OTOH, while it's functional, the lead threads on the screw are what "cut" the printed threads on the clamp body and thus aren't anywhere near as clean as the lower threads... I may take a fit and decide to re-print that part.

Currently printing off a few more knobs for the stand (I've got the standard amount printed off, but need an extra couple of arms for how I want to use it) but here's the head (please excuse my crappy soldering job.... :) ) .

Head Strips wired.jpg

Head front cover on.jpg

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Perhaps you could thread-chase/start with an actual metal screw of the same thread type? Would prevent the plastic on plastic damage of starting the threads

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Perhaps you could thread-chase/start with an actual metal screw of the same thread type? Would prevent the plastic on plastic damage of starting the threads
Yeah, that's how it works with smaller bolts/nuts, but this is something like 3/4" and probably metric so the chances of me having that on hand would be pretty slim. :)

edit: and to be clear.... the body printed with threads that should have matched, but it was far from a smooth mating surface like what printed on the screw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter