What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

Entz

Just went for the comgrow ender 3pro with glass upgrade.

I dont need that upgrade kit to start printing do i? I almost bought one on amazon but the one you linked on ali express is 3x less $.
Welcome to the dark side err ... rabbit hole . Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

Kidding aside, its good fun.

Entz

edit: and to be clear.... the body printed with threads that should have matched, but it was far from a smooth mating surface like what printed on the screw.
Yeah I have that happen as well, threads and I don't get along -- The margin for error is near zero. Could even be as simple as the overhang on the top sagged a bit (assuming you printed it on its back vs vertical with supports). The plastic sometimes cleans itself a path eventually if you use it.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah I have that happen as well, threads and I don't get along -- The margin for error is near zero. Could even be as simple as the overhang on the top sagged a bit (assuming you printed it on its back vs vertical with supports). The plastic sometimes cleans itself a path eventually if you use it.
Heh... that was body #2... I tried the first one with full supports and there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to clean out the support from the thread area. Body #2 was printed pretty much the way it's sitting in the image. Ideally, I think if I knew what I was doing with the slicer(s) I'd have printed it on end with support only on the inner part of the "C", and the raised circle while leaving the threaded area at the top to print itself from the bottom up without any kind of support.

Strangely enough, it wasn't sagging of the top part that was an issue, I had a line of crap pretty much right at the bottom of the threads that had to be cleaned up, and then brute force the screw through it in order to "tap" it out.

Entz

Cura has the concept of support blockers that should let you exclude putting in support where the hole is. Something I haven't tried though.

sswilson

Staff member
Cura has the concept of support blockers that should let you exclude putting in support where the hole is. Something I haven't tried though.
Yeah one of the two also has a "tree" support system that's "beta" and needs to be enabled for it to be available. That's something that might have helped in this situation as well. A big part of the learning process is figuring out the best way to orient a part on the bed, and then deciding if it's going to need supports. I'm surprised that most thingiverse files don't seem to be pre-positioned for the best way to lay them on the bed.

It's all good though... just put the last arm to bed and it's only the cable clamps left to do but I can assemble the light and temporarily run the wires until I get the clamps done. With any luck I'll get some finished pics sometime tomorrow.

sswilson

Staff member
Knobs and springs.jpg

This is a remix build (not mine) with the main difference from the original being the inclusion of springs to allow (in theory) enough tension for the arms to stay put, yet still allow adjustments without having to undo the knobs. Couple of things I did differently was to force washers into the spring side of the knob to protect the plastic from the spring end, and the build was designed for traditional bolt heads, but I used what I had (socket head) and it seems to be working fine. The springs work, but it's hard to come up with exactly the right combination of length vs strength... I found it had to be fairly strong springs... the one in the image works, but it's pretty much completely compressed when trying to hold the head's weight.

Clamp Outside.jpg

The clamp works exactly as advertised, and feels like it's going to do the trick.

Lamp outside Folded.jpg

The desk my printer's on is pretty deep so I had to print off a couple of extra arms to extend the reach closer to the front of the desk. That extra length makes it sway side-to-side a bit more, but once it's settled I can't imagine that being an issue.

Lamp outside partially extended.jpg

Grey against the white snow background probably wasn't the best choice to taking pics, but I didn't want to have to dig out light stands for these pics so it is what it is.... :) Total extension is about 35" (not including the head).

What a great project!!!! :) Nothing overly hard to print, but enough going on that it was a challenge for a newb and a few extra prints had to be done as part of the learning process. Overall I figure it took me between 40 & 50 hrs of printing (a fair bit of raft time in there), about 3 hrs to deal with the wiring and soldering of the LEDs, and probably 2 or three hours worth of things like getting the nuts and socket head bolts flush in the plastic parts.

danmitch1

That is really cool! im so excited to get my printer!!! I got my filament this morning, purolators got the printer "on the way" expected by 8pm..

Do you guys store your filament in vacuum packs ? I have a bunch of silica gel with color indicator, will that be enough for storage in a ziptop bag?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... not sure how much use it is, but I'm sucking out as much air as I possibly can before sealing up the zip lock. :)

I haven't invested in anything other than what came with the filament, but 3.0Charlie posted a link to some re-usable silica pods that change colour when they've taken on too much moisture but can then be re-heated in an oven to reset them.

danmitch1

Yeah, thats what I have. They are orange when dry and dark blue when saturated. pop em in the oven to remove the moisture. So that should be sufficient ?

BTW, what was the total cost of that lamp you build?

Entz

that light holder looks amazing, very nice!

I personally just store it in a sealed box with a bunch of silica packets (similar to the ones you find in random things) and it has worked great. I am not sure how needed it is given I often leave stuff out for a week. A bag with the air squished out is more than enough imo.

this is what I store them in. Has a seal and you can place rolls vertically or horizontal so you can get a few in. I am 99% sure it’s the 4.4g but if you have lots bigger is better of course

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter