What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, thats what I have. They are orange when dry and dark blue when saturated. pop em in the oven to remove the moisture. So that should be sufficient ?

BTW, what was the total cost of that lamp you build?
Heh... I think that's the kind of question you really aren't supposed to ask.... ;)

The write-up for the original plans actually comments on the fact that it's probably cheaper to buy a desk lamp, but that was for a single bulb light, not a 54 LED bank.... :)

I doubt it's 1/5 of a roll worth of filament (probably not even close) but that would be around $5, another $5 for the box of M4 X 35 bolts (box of 50 and I needed less than 10 so the extras cover off whatever other assorted hardware I needed) and a roll of 300(ish) LEDs with 1 switch was $25 but I already had a couple of LED wall warts and some LED connectors on hand so I didn't need to use the switch that came with them. Add in 40+ hours of power which I'm sure doesn't add up to more than $5.

So.... worst case scenario of including the full price of the LED roll + controller we're looking at under $40, and I challenge you to find a large led bank articulating desk lamp for that kind of coin.... (It's not about the money though.... :) )

danmitch1

Heh... I think that's the kind of question you really aren't supposed to ask.... ;)

The write-up for the original plans actually comments on the fact that it's probably cheaper to buy a desk lamp, but that was for a single bulb light, not a 54 LED bank.... :)

I doubt it's 1/5 of a roll worth of filament (probably not even close) but that would be around $5, another $5 for the box of M4 X 35 bolts (box of 50 and I needed less than 10 so the extras cover off whatever other assorted hardware I needed) and a roll of 300(ish) LEDs with 1 switch was $25 but I already had a couple of LED wall warts and some LED connectors on hand so I didn't need to use the switch that came with them. Add in 40+ hours of power which I'm sure doesn't add up to more than $5.

So.... worst case scenario of including the full price of the LED roll + controller we're looking at under $40, and I challenge you to find a large led bank articulating desk lamp for that kind of coin.... (It's not about the money though.... :) )
lol just thought id ask. but thats still not that bad at all for such a cool lamp. Plus the cost of amusement and knowledge gained is priceless !

Im still waiting for my printer!!! I spent the afternoon modeling a fan cage for the back of my lian li case.
LIAN LI BACK CAGE.png

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Ahhhh.... see you're well ahead of me in that aspect... I can barely make an open 3 sided cube..... :)

I'm stuck with using other peoples' designs for now. (Fortunately for me there are a ton of very talented folks willing to share their designs for free... ).

Last edited:

danmitch1

Ahhhh.... see you're well ahead of me in that aspect... I can barely make an open 3 sided cube..... :)

I'm stuck with using other peoples' designs for now. (Fortunately for me there are a ton of very talented folks willing to share their designs for free... ).
Well, it takes some practice (25 years for me) but you can definitely figure it it out, especially nowadays with youtube tutorials and the like.

But this is monumental for me, ive never done more than some cool renders , animations or game maps, models. Now i get to physically touch what i design!

Got my package finally.. puro left it on my friken door step in the rain and snow.. im in the middle of bitchn to Amazon. Assembled it, will start printing tomorrow! Oh the joy!
P_20200126_003555.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Cool! Welcome to the club!

Any problems outside of delivery?

Just completely my longest print yet.... 17 hrs for a .12 castle. Even at 20% scale it still took 17 hrs... :) (Turned out pretty decent if you ask me... :) ).

Last edited:

danmitch1

No trouble yet! Going to go fire her up now.
Edit: The assembly was fun for me but I can see some people having trouble. They also left out how to link the drive belt to the extruder. Did you have extra screws not indicated in the instructions.? M4*14,
Any pics of your castle?

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
No trouble yet! Going to go fire her up now.
Edit: The assembly was fun for me but I can see some people having trouble. They also left out how to link the drive belt to the extruder. Did you have extra screws not indicated in the instructions.? M4*14,
Any pics of your castle?
Castle frontr Profile.jpg
Castle side Profile.jpg
Castle Rear Profile.jpg

The detail is pretty amazing considering it's 3.5" high.... :)

Done at .12 scaled down to 20% of the original so you don't get anywhere near the detail that's gone into the full sized model.....

edit: and yeah.... I had some spare screws left over as well... you "probably" ;) didn't miss anything.... :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
On the off chance there was ever any doubt which end of the "form vs function" spectrum I fall on, here's an example of how no matter how good a design is, there's always a bit of room for some Red Greening to go on....... :)

Wall Light switch.jpg

Strangely enough, the light switch fits in there perfectly... almost like it was designed for it..... :)

edit: I had one of the small toggle switches lined up (there's a design for a switch box) but "somebody" left the soldering iron on the contact for too long and it apparently desoldered the internal terminal so there's no longer a closed cct. I'll have a look over the next couple of days to see if there's a dollar store item that's got one of the toggle switches on it that I can rob.

Last edited:

danmitch1

That detail in the castle is incredible! well done. Is that zip ties? 3d printed zip ties l:p

Its a terrible feeling having left over parts !

Just finished calibrating the bed.. took a bit of practice as I kept running out of threads to bring up or down the bed. Also with the glass the auto home went too low and bumped into the bed.. I hope I didnt fck it up. I had to bring up the Z home switch.

Now lets see what this baby can do!

Last edited:

danmitch1

Alright! Soo good and bad news for my first day of 3d printing.

With the included little roll of filament I printed this test file. Printed perfectly.
IMG_20200126_163306973.jpg
IMG_20200126_163032266.jpg

Then I had enough left on the roll so I made my GF a little something for her desk at work
IMG_20200126_190708792.jpg
IMG_20200126_221741666.jpg

Supports removed
IMG_20200126_232744772.jpgIMG_20200126_232831510.jpg

Now the bad part ...

I was preparing my fan cage for printing and did not have enough of the included filament to complete the print so I loaded the filament i bought (OVERTURE PETG Filament 1.75mm) re leveled the bed and pressed print.

The first layer was thick on the left and thin on the right so I tried adjusting the leveling as it was printing (saw the filamentfriday guy do it)..
That didn't really work for me, I guess I need more practice. So I aborted the print and tried re-leveling everything, print again now its super thick everywhere and not sticking. I leveled it a third time and again no good.. Finally I stuck the build surface that came with the filament on the bed and re-leveled it again with no success. A this point it was 12:30am and I had to work in the morning ...

I also noticed a grinding kinda sound on the x axis every now and again, that needs some investigation as well.

This was all very very amusing none the less!

Latest posts

Twitter