What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Did you calibrate the extruder when you changed filament? That's the critical step I was missing when I was starting out, and out of all of the other calibrations is the one that 's going to affect how the filament is initially laid out.

lowfat

Staff member
Aha! no sir, I had no clue I had to.
Find/ make a plain cube model. 20mmx20mmx20mm.

In the slicer set walls to 2, no top, no infill. Print. Measure the width of all the walls. Add them all and divide by 8. It should be the same as you line / wall width in the slicer. Adjust your flow by whatever percentage it is.

In all honestly, I never do this besides once for each filament type.

Entz

In all honestly, I never do this besides once for each filament type.
Yeah I have never found the need outside of one finicky filament sample I got in a sample box. This is essentially what material profiles are for though. Use the multipliers to adjust flow if absolutely required but leave your steps / mm alone IMHO.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Quick question....

Is the BLTouch pretty much the gold standard when it comes to add-on auto levelers or are there others worthy of consideration?

I'm currently printing off the second half of the Pestfang (print cooling mod) and while I'm not buying an auto leveler at the moment, there's a pretty good chance I'll buy one later in the spring so if I'd be getting one, I'd like to print off the adapter using the same filament and calibration so that I'll be sure it fits right.....

If it is... there are left or right options for the mount, any preference?

lowfat

Staff member
A good inductive sensor is more consistent w/ results and less prone to issues as there are no moving parts. However it requires a thick aluminum bed. No glass, no plastic print surface (except for 0.1mm thick).

For the Ender 3, the BL Touch is probably the best you can get. There are lots of fakes out there. So make sure you are paying for what you get.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
A good inductive sensor is more consistent w/ results and less prone to issues as there are no moving parts. However it requires a thick aluminum bed. No glass, no plastic print surface (except for 0.1mm thick).

For the Ender 3, the BL Touch is probably the best you can get. There are lots of fakes out there. So make sure you are paying for what you get.
Yeah, I was looking at the ones on aliexpress, but I think the amazon.ca creality storefront has a kit for $70 so I'll probably go that route just to be sure I'm getting the real deal. When half the ads for a product are pushing the word "authentic" it's probably a good time to be wary.... :)

I did however notice that the same storefront which I bought the board from also has bltouches for sale... would that be a relatively safe bet as well?

edit: And while I've got an active post.... rather than creating a new one... let me state that watching prints sure as hell triggers my ADD zone-out ccts.... I could have watched that castle print off for hours on end.... :)

Latest posts

Twitter