What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

lcdguy

Folding Team
well you can try changing them see if it makes a difference, also the cooling fan is disabled for the first 3 layers i think that's to ensure a good bond to the build plate.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, that's what I did for the current print... I had it turned off completely, but then decided I needed some overhang so I bumped it up to 25% somewhere around layer 15.

I'm going to run some more cubes to see if the lack of cooling seems to make a difference. It's a relatively quick print and it's reproducible results. No way to know for sure, but I suppose it's also possible that having (supposedly) more efficient cooling from the bullseye also means that I need to dial fan speed down from stock cooling in cases like this.....

sswilson

Staff member
So... dropping the fan speed down to 50% seems to have helped a bit, but ultimately I think I'm tilting at windmills. It's the thin base that appears to be brittle and while I can't break the PLA ones by hand, the force required to snap either one using right angle force with a pair of pliers feels very similar.

I'll probably try another cube without any cooling at all just for kicks, but other than that I don't think I'm going to look any further into this unless I start having parts fail.

Besides.... I want to try installing the BLTouch tomorrow, and there's so much I don't understand about the process that I'll need to redirect my concerns to that.... The replacement main board still hasn't shipped from China and it'll really bite if I brick my current main board trying to flash it... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmm.... so I ran into a couple of snags during the installation of my BLTouch 1 is a design flaw in the kit that I'll post up later, but the other is the fact that I can't input X/Y offsets without re-compiling the firmware code?

I managed to get the firmware upgraded for BLTouch via the included firmware flasher. but unless I'm missing something, the code for where the BLT is positioned is baked into the firmware, and that means I can't use the custom position from my cooling mod unless I re-mix the code and upload it?

For the moment, I think I'm going to go back to stock cooling while I sort the rest of this out... at least I have something on hand that will flash the firmware without having a bootloader / arduino.

lcdguy

Folding Team
Yeah I think I had to flash stock marlin on it and disable the USB slot to enable the bltouch. I also had to use octoprint to set the offsets.

Entz

I changed the firmware source code but technically speaking you can do it from gcode

Add it to your printer startup code.

sswilson

Staff member
Setup for BLTouch on the ender series has improved a bit over time. Now there's a Creality firmware mix that's pre-built for the BLTouch that compensates for the included mount, and they've thrown in a USB firmware burner that allows folks to upgrade without needing any other hardware.

It's got a few quirks, but for the most part appears to work as advertised.

I changed the firmware source code but technically speaking you can do it from gcode

Add it to your printer startup code.
The issue I immediately ran into was in attempting to use the bed levelling function from within the printer's control panel.... Because the mount from the cooling mod isn't the same as the stock settings (it's even on the right as opposed to left so it's really off.... ;) ) it tried to move the bltouch too far to the left and was off of the bed so it would have ground the nozzle into the bed.

I know I'll have to get into flashing/configuring stock firmware at some time (certainly once my new board gets in) but I'm not there yet.

So far it appears to be working under the stock configuration.... had some issues at first with the z offset, but then realised that I had to do the levelling while the bed was up to printing heat as opposed to cold.

lcdguy

Folding Team
Yeah, also if using octoprint I believe there is a way to view the results of the bed mesh as well, just don't remember right now how to do it.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, I haven't looked into bed mesh yet either... I believe that's another function which requires addition through stock firmware?

As it stands.... I'm working off the assumption that a "bed level" done on the printer gets stored in memory and is applied while a print is ongoing without any input from the gcode. Again... that's only an assumption, however I can't see how this would work under stock settings unless it's a valid assumption.

I also need to look into what (if any) plugins there are for octoprint for the bltouch.... it's in the firmware now, and I have options for the bltouch on the printer's control panel, I just don't have anything remote through octoprint.

Latest posts

Twitter