What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
that's a cool project, hopefully it prints well.

Worked out reasonably well. It's like the cable chain build in that you really need to work it by hand in order to get it to move reasonably smoothly. OTOH, it didn't easily snap together and required some mechanical work to get it all to fit so I wouldn't recommend it as something a person could just print off and give to anybody expecting that they'd be able to get a working model out of it.

lcdguy

Folding Team
i've been wanting to print out one of these, but there are some many other projects inline i think it will need to wait as printing will take some time.

i still think it would be cool though.

danmitch1

Hey glad to hear your BLtouch turned out good there Wilson! Ill be refereing to this thread for sure when I get one.

For now, ive got a few things lined up Since the sound of printing drives my GF nuts!

I have these on the way

Zeelo TL-Smoother kit addon Module for Pattern Elimination Motor Filter Clipping

Ive seen some demos of this really helping print quality.

Ive got the aluminum extruder drive suggested and also some extra bowden tubes and couplers.

And Im this is also on the way

PLUS.. (im really far down this rabbit hole)

I got some tools!

This weekend I printed this, im not happy with it to be honest and what a huge PITA to install! The files where all grouped together and I printed the wrong model... 18 hours of printing total for the 3 peices.. sooo not to waste all that time and PLA I had to "modify" the parts by melting them with a soldering iron then filing them...
IMG_20200209_163315748.jpgIMG_20200209_163356289.jpgIMG_20200209_163451561.jpg

I thought of a really neat idea too,

BEHOLD
IMG_20200210_072341997.jpgIMG_20200210_115659538.jpg

danmitch1

Yeah it should, its also free! I noticed the stock fan makes some horrible vibrations that im thinking must effect the print quality. So I told amazon I want to replace the fan, they told me that they will refund me when it arrives .

lowfat

Staff member
Those 'TL Smoothers' are meant for DRV8825 stepper drivers. Pretty sure your board doesn't use them. I have no idea why people use these on other boards.

And I really don't suggest replacing the hotend fan w/ something that is is pushing less air. I replaced the Noctua on my Prusa within a week w/ a stronger Sunon fan. You want the transition zone in the heatbreak to be as short as possible, so more cooling over the heatsink. A slower fan can cause jams in the heatbreak.

As for the dampeners, I found they had a negative impact on print quality, as the pulley now has play. Even time the stepper changes direction, the pulley will bounce. If you want to silence vibrations, make sure all your screws are tight as possible. And put the printer on a paving stone.

danmitch1

LOL! well now. I got a little trigger happy on the amazon "place order" button eh.
Ill try em out, if they suck theres not risk, I can just return them.
That Noctua fan has got to be stronger than my stock fan?

lcdguy

Folding Team
Interesting, I haven't had any issues with jams in the heat break on my prusa, but perhaps it's something I need to look into :)

I guess you could see if you can find more Info on the stock fan (ie: CFM, static pressure, etc) and compare ?

Latest posts

Twitter