What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

lowfat

Staff member
IMO order some PETG or even ABS and wait to print a new design. PLA definitely won't last on a hot end. Its heat deflection temp is around 55C. The heat from the nozzle and bed will make it start sagging pretty quickly.

PETG is around 75C. ABS is 104C. ABS is substantially harder to print be aware.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
IMO order some PETG or even ABS and wait to print a new design. PLA definitely won't last on a hot end. Its heat deflection temp is around 55C. The heat from the nozzle and bed will make it start sagging pretty quickly.

PETG is around 75C. ABS is 104C. ABS is substantially harder to print be aware.
Heh... my first PLA one started sagging because of the 100c bed temps when I tried to print some ABS... (I've got PETG printed but can't use it ATM until I decide to flash a stock merlin build onto it so I can set the BLTouch offsets).

edit: actually, it looks like the one you printed off might work using the stock Creality mount.....

lowfat

Staff member
Heh... my first PLA one started sagging because of the 100c bed temps when I tried to print some ABS... (I've got PETG printed but can't use it ATM until I decide to flash a stock merlin build onto it so I can set the BLTouch offsets).

edit: actually, it looks like the one you printed off might work using the stock Creality mount.....
I melt my ABS-PC (heat deflection temp of 112C) fan nozzles on the regular. Going to print my next ones out of PEI. 😄

danmitch1

Ill definitely reprint a better cooler mod in a higher heat tolerant filament. Thanks for the heads up!

Just installed my aluminum extruder grip, and calibrated to my new filament ( Hatchbox PLA white )
It gave me some trouble, my calculation was telling me 120 E step!?, set it back to 93 and re measured/ extruded, now im at 105E step and its dialed right in
Currently printing a benchy and so far so REALLY good, compared to the included filament (garbage filament?).

Im gonna wait to install the tl smoothers and vibration dampers till the weekend.

My noctua fan is stuck in the mail somehow!! Amazon...

Any suggestions on a good blower fan upgrade?

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Anybody ever try the Cura "ironing" feature? Going to give it a shot on one of those fan guards I printed out earlier....

lowfat

Staff member
Anybody ever try the Cura "ironing" feature? Going to give it a shot on one of those fan guards I printed out earlier....
It has never turned out for me ever. It actually made the surface look significantly worse. However its maybe because I was doing .3mm+ layers. When I tried it, variable layer height wasn't possible w/ Cura. So I never pursued it more.