What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

danmitch1

Benchy.
IMG_20200211_071944799.jpgIMG_20200211_071950051.jpgIMG_20200211_081501_01.jpgIMG_20200211_081501_02.jpgIMG_20200211_123112957.jpg
Most issues im seeing is the over hangs in the ports and windows. I guess colder temps and or better cooling would help?
I measured and compared with the benchy guide and everything is within .09 of a mm.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Yes, apparently better cooling can help with overhangs. I'm not seeing any obvious ringing issues... did you find something specific and/or change a few settings?

danmitch1

The ringing is less visible but is still there. Id have to try the printer test again.
I did notice that the hatchbox filament prints super well, I also did change the extruder gripper for the aluminum one and calibrated the extruder using a mid point temperature (195c) of that filament. Maybe those helped a bit. Ill re print that mini test again tonight.

danmitch1

I did the mini test print last night. The writing on the front is much more defined and the stringing test is 90% better, the bridging is a tad better but over hangs are maybe worse\ same. Ringing is still present. Im gonna print out some belt tensioners and add some more support on the table, maybe hang a cinder block under it lol.. There is also is a mount for the extruder I might try.

Im also eying this cooler, really simple and fast to print.

IMG_20200212_132139595.jpgIMG_20200212_132247903.jpgIMG_20200212_132255811.jpg

danmitch1

Just finished installing the stepper motor dampers and Wow, they are at least 80% more quiet. lets see if the print quality is effected !

EDIT: Printed the same gcode benchy, looks just as good as the one without dampers. No quality suffrage with this printer and stepper dampers!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
I saw your images in the other thread... where did you order the stepper drivers from? And yeah... it's one of those black magic things.... you wouldn't think that a "software" solution would be able to make a big difference on the sounds produced by a mechanical device.

I've got 4 hours left on a print that's taking one of my initial rolls of filament down to the nub.... I'm sure there's going to be enough to finish the job, but it's a bit nerve racking waiting for the print to finish.... :)

lcdguy

Folding Team
Maybe something like this would help ?

danmitch1

I saw your images in the other thread... where did you order the stepper drivers from? And yeah... it's one of those black magic things.... you wouldn't think that a "software" solution would be able to make a big difference on the sounds produced by a mechanical device.

I've got 4 hours left on a print that's taking one of my initial rolls of filament down to the nub.... I'm sure there's going to be enough to finish the job, but it's a bit nerve racking waiting for the print to finish.... :)
I got both the dampers and the tl smoothers off amazon. There is so much negative talk about the dampers but I printed 4 things since and havent seen anything off.. Ill for sure pick up the "silent" board too. If its quiet enough ill take off the dampers, if not, maybe a combo of the 2 would be ultra silent. But really, the loudest part of the printer is the heat stop fan and the filament stepper. Ill be changing the fan but I have to install the 24v to 12 v step down thingy (also purchased from amazon) for the noctua to work.. I also need to print the petsfang cooler as the 40x20mm fan wont fit the stock cooler. Plus the souped up blower fan I got wont fit either ;).

Have you tried the resume print function?

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
I got both the dampers and the tl smoothers off amazon. There is so much negative talk about the dampers but I printed 4 things since and havent seen anything off.. Ill for sure pick up the "silent" board too. If its quiet enough ill take off the dampers, if not, maybe a combo of the 2 would be ultra silent. But really, the loudest part of the printer is the heat stop fan and the filament stepper. Ill be changing the fan but I have to install the 24v to 12 v step down thingy (also purchased from amazon) for the noctua to work.. I also need to print the petsfang cooler as the 40x20mm fan wont fit the stock cooler. Plus the souped up blower fan I got wont fit either ;).

Have you tried the resume print function?
Only in passing.... I didn't know how it worked so I paused a print to try to clean up a minor issue but made the mistake of moving the Z axis to get at the print thinking that the "resume print" function would return the head to the appropriate starting location.... (that's not how it works.... :) ).

Let us know how you make out with the step-down kit (and provide a link if it works as advertised... :) ). Is it just for fans, or could a person tap off 12V for an LED strip?

danmitch1

Only in passing.... I didn't know how it worked so I paused a print to try to clean up a minor issue but made the mistake of moving the Z axis to get at the print thinking that the "resume print" function would return the head to the appropriate starting location.... (that's not how it works.... :) ).

Let us know how you make out with the step-down kit (and provide a link if it works as advertised... :) ). Is it just for fans, or could a person tap off 12V for an LED strip?
Oh no! well you gotta learn some how eh.
Will do. I dont think the step down thing is designed for anything in particular, I assume it will supply 12v to what ever you plug into it.
What I would like to know is how much load those fan headers can handle.