What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

danmitch1

Interesting , my order for my new hot end, direct drive , 3d touch etc..
Aliexpress:
"Despatch from Sorting Center

2020-07-05 20:44:52 "

Is already in Canada post's system..

1 delivery.pngdelivery.png
(y)(y)

sswilson

Staff member
ducky in da house.JPG

Ducky in da house!!!!!!

(after waiting all this time it's going to have to go up on the shelf for a while until I'm done my current project......... ).

sswilson

Staff member
Just starting to look at what I need to do for this.... the mini SD card they included is a whopping 128MB!!!! (It's overkill, but I've got a 32GB card waiting in the wings.... :) ).

There's a pre-mixed bltouch firmware file on the github page... I'm hoping that once I figure out how to compile and flash the file it'll be as simple as punching in the bltouch offsets (I've got stock creality offsets at the moment, but will want to use the Fang ones once I get this figured out) and number of probe points (I'm thinking a 4X4 grid will be more accurate than the stock 9X9 without adding too much extra lead in time for each print?

Hardware side looks relatively straight forward... software side... not so much (hence the new sd card so I can always throw in the original if I muck up flashing... :) ).

I guess the one thing I need out of the original settings is the Z Offset, and I do plan on swapping in an old print surface in case I "crash" to the bed during setup.

danmitch1

Dont you kinda wish it was just a matter of plug and play? like a pc.. just install the right driver and your good to go.. Ive got a bltouch clone coming and am a bit anxious of how to get all the offsets programmed into the firmware... its probably not too hard if you follow a good tutorial but it is intimidating for sure.. nice to have support here !

sswilson

Staff member
I'm hoping it's a simple as downloading the "firmware-bltouch-for-z-homing" bin for the stock setup and then copying it to an SD card and then using the onboard printer menu to flash the new firmware. I'm not completely clear on that though as the github makes referrence to "compile with XXXXXXXX" beside the bin download.

danmitch1

Well, isnt that board supposed to be a direct swap drop in replacement for the ender 3 anyway? Did the sd come with any firmware on it?
I do remember I had to compile mine using the btt skr mini... env.. Once you do find the right firmware its easy lol... just load the firmware.bin onto sd and pop it in with the machine off, turn it on and it should automatically flash the firmware.

sswilson

Staff member
There is a firmware.cur file that's 200KB and I suspect it might just need to be renamed to .bin, but I'm not sure. I dl'd the z axis file from the github page and will give that a try (I'm assuming it's already compiled as it only brings up gibberish in notepad++).

danmitch1

firmware.cur is the currently flashed firmware i believe.. when you flash the .bin and its successful its automatically renamed .cur