What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

lcdguy

Folding Team
yeah, that's what i found when i had the ender 3, though didn't have a nice kit with a burner and had to use an arduino from my cnc. :)

sswilson

Staff member

Soooo.... printing off a couple of belt tighteners in PETG, and while the threads are mating up fine, I'm still not convinced that this particular brand of PETG is up to par. Already had one of the parts break at a layer joint (and that was before it was installed and under tension)....

Going to try another print with the end temp a little higher, and turn off layer cooling to see if that makes a difference. One of the other suggestions is to print the part horizontal as opposed to vertical but then you're dealing with fairly substantial support that would have to be removed from the threads which doesn't sound ideal at all.....

Just got a 3 pack of fresh print surfaces in, have a roll of white PLA inbound, and am waiting for aliexpress orders of the mainboard, a metal extrusion top, both brass and hardened steel nozzles, a PTFE tube (and connectors), as well as a replacement fan for my laptop..... I may have to buy stock.... :)

lcdguy

Folding Team
i've had good results with the filaments from the following 2 companies. Never really tried to stress the parts but everything i have printed seems to be fine.

www.filaments.ca
www.spool3d.ca

Or something like this should be pretty strong me thinks :)

sswilson

Staff member
It's not a huge print so I'm going to try upping the walls and infill as well as orienting it at a 45 deg offset from how I printed it originally. I'm thinking the 45 deg offset will change the angle of the internal layer printing from being in line with the seam to being offset and hopefully provide a bit more strength.

Now that I'm looking at how the part goes together I'm not all that sure it's a big issue... there's a roller/spacer that goes between the two arms where one broke and realistically there won't be that much pressure applied to the part once it's installed.

danmitch1

Speak of the devil , I just fininshed printing 3 belt tensioners for my ender 5. used PLA though, Just need some god damned m5x8 screws to mount em...
Also have the petsfang going.. I have to modify the base though.. doesnt quite fit.
Next up for me , bed support struts ( down the line I want to get a dual z mod going)

Im so far down this rabbit hole, i doubt ill be able to crawl out lol
And like you said, be prepared to spend the next few months printing mods, I havent really printed anything else but that fan cage so far.

edit: taking it to another level?
images

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

So..... Does your printer have the magnetic bed? I just replaced my original print surface with a fresh one and while I'm happy with that product (exact replacement for the original surface) I'm considering buying the magnetic bed replacement next time around.... I did however notice that the replacement bed (Linked to above) states that it's got a 70c bed temp ceiling.... does yours (or did the one on the ender 3 pro) come with a similar warning?

Default PETG is 70c, but ABS is 100c.

lcdguy

Folding Team
It's likely for the magnetic sheet as high temps can mess with the magnetic fields on the sheets. Which is why I prefer prusa's solution to mounting magnets on the underside of the bed and then use a pei coated sheet of spring steel :)

Something like this maybe would just need a way to secure it to your bed.

sswilson

Staff member
Random observation.....

PLA works great on the creality print surface especially when levelling is dialed in. PETG OTOH is a major PITA when it comes to removing thin layers (like skirts and/or the clearing line cura prints off to the side).

Going forward, I think I'm going to stick with the glass surface whenever I'm printing PETG.

danmitch1

So..... Does your printer have the magnetic bed? I just replaced my original print surface with a fresh one and while I'm happy with that product (exact replacement for the original surface) I'm considering buying the magnetic bed replacement next time around.... I did however notice that the replacement bed (Linked to above) states that it's got a 70c bed temp ceiling.... does yours (or did the one on the ender 3 pro) come with a similar warning?

Default PETG is 70c, but ABS is 100c.
Yeah, mine came with the magnetic bed.
I don't see any warning about the bed temp but in the Amazon description im reading "Brand Power Supply: Built-in brand power supply, heat up the hot bed to 110℃ in 5 minutes."
Not sure if one has anything to do with the other.

Ill keep this in mind,id like to try another type of filament next time around. Maybe ill get a glass bed just incase!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Speak of the devil , I just fininshed printing 3 belt tensioners for my ender 5. used PLA though, Just need some god damned m5x8 screws to mount em...
Also have the petsfang going.. I have to modify the base though.. doesnt quite fit.
Next up for me , bed support struts ( down the line I want to get a dual z mod going)

Im so far down this rabbit hole, i doubt ill be able to crawl out lol
And like you said, be prepared to spend the next few months printing mods, I havent really printed anything else but that fan cage so far.

edit: taking it to another level?
images

I grabbed some M5X25 from fastenal. The belt tighteners seem to work great, it never ceases to amaze me how high the quality of free user-made mods is. I'm assuming the great majority of them are based off of designs the users have seen on other printers, but still, there's quite a bit of work that must go into these things.

Latest posts